Chapter 24. The Hope of All Demons

The loud crash had stipulated Willow's senses.

She turned her head back to look down the hallway, but the arena was long ago beyond her sight. "Willow?" A call had brought back her attention.

Down the hallway was Augustine; the goddamn reincarnator/butler of Duke Rubius.

His attire showcased his ripe muscular figure, and had only made his cold face appear even more handsome. "What are you doing here? Where is Lucilline?"

Willow's eyes thinned. "Young Master is fighting the demon."

Upon hearing that, Augustine was shocked. An unknown sense of madness had burned at his lungs, as if something was choking him by the neck. His blue and purple veins had protruded out from his forehead, with disbelief written all across his face.

By his side, his hands full of callouses had clenched into a fist.

"...why?" Augustine had anger bubbling up his chest. His grey eyes were bloodshot, as he declared, "Why would you leave him alone-"

"He's not alone." Willow snapped. Her facial features had softened, as she explained, "Although I understand where you're coming from, but Young Master is not as weak as you think he is. Ever since he was 10-years-old, I've been teaching him swordsmanship and martial arts. Now, it's been five years. I doubt that he wouldn't be able to defend himself from a demon."

Augustine fell silent.

The maidservant had a point. She was a skillful instructor. If a person like her was teaching Lucilline, then he would be strong. However, Augustine's feeling of unease did not diminish.

"Besides, Young Master isn't alone. Daphnne and Percival are with him." Willow explained.

Hearing that other people were with Lucilline in the arena, Augustine could feel his nerves relaxing. His tense muscular body began to relax, with his cold face slowly thawing in relief. Willow noticed this, but didn't bother to comment.

"I am to make sure all the people escape safely." Willow informed. "Help me in rescuing the people."

Augustine nodded, agreeing swiftly.

The two servants of Duke Rubius had dashed down the hallway, ready to save anyone. They separated when the path split into two. "Let's separate. This way, rescuing the people will be faster." They both agreed.

After some time of separation, a small frown fell onto Willow's lips. She felt a burning sensation right where her hydrangea flower mark laid—on her chest. Could this mean... Young Master is injured?

Willow hurried in running.

*****

Daphnne shivered.

She had withdrawn her sword from the demon's heart, and wiped the folly blood off from her blade with a handkerchief. The heroine could feel the burning temperature of the blood through the fabric, as if they were just inches away from strangling her.

"Good job, Daphnne." Percival praised her. "You were skillful with the sword, and managed to even kill a demon."

Daphnne couldn't bring herself to smile.

She curled up on the ground, next to the body of the demon. "I don't think I can eat dinner after this." She shuddered, hugging her own arms.

Lucilline watched her. He then commented, "You saved me. Thank you, Daphnne."

The heroine paused. She stopped trembling. Her head turned to look at Lucilline, who wore a small smile. That's right. Daphnne understood. It isn't over yet. There is more than one demon that invaded the school. Besides, killing a few more demons is nothing compared to losing my friends.