chapter f i v e.

note; i recently made a reito playlist called the dragon and his devil on spotify

note; i recently made a reito playlist called the dragon and his devil on spotify. if you cant find it, the link should be in my linktree on my bio. listen to it as you read this chapter for more pain cause-- like why not༼ಢ_ಢ༽

MARLEYAN MILITARY BASE, LIBERIO

It wasn't as if Saito couldn't speak Marleyan. He had just simply chosen not to speak.

He understood every word spoken to him. Every word spoken about him. But what he couldn't understand was why he had to stay with this stranger that was his father. Or why, oddly. his mother was taking her sweet time to come back for him.

But Saito tried his best to uphold his end of the promise as he hopefully awaited for her due return. The promise he made to her to be a good boy while she was gone. To be a brave boy.

The last promise he'll ever make to her.

And he knew that a part of being a good boy was to understand the situation. To understand the adults. Back in Hizuru, it didn't seem as hard. Everyone seemed to be so expressive. His great aunt Kiyomi was the easiest to understand. Or at least it was easy for him to understand that she hated him, with her looming glares and distasteful words-- but he could never figure out why.

Now why is the true question to everything. Why had his mother brought him here? And why did she leave him here with a foreign man who unfamiliarly enough, was apparently his father? Why did this man- his father- continuously refused to talk about anything regarding his mother? And why he, the boy-- the child, needed to be understanding at the face of all the chaos and confusion of that is of adults?

But for the young eight year old Saito, thinking too hard about why and things he didn't like only made him hungry.

Though there was one thing he liked about his new home though. Don't be mistaken-- he still strangely longed for his home in Hizuru dearly. A palace-like estate in the cool foothills, overlooking the endless rolling slopes of rice paddies with the sweetened air that smelled of blooming wisterias mixed with the the scent of fresh sugarcane from the grove in the forest just beyond. A glorious and vicious --unforgiving-- ancestral mansion- filled with hatred and brimming with greed...

But he had been borne there. And it had been home to him since. The only home he had ever known then. And he missed it... truly. But Marley offered a different life for him.

It was a whole different world from the Azumabito Estate. His father was a simple man. A busy man. And so was his life. Though his home in Marley was no where small, it surprised Saito on how short of a walk his bedroom was to the kitchen. The first time he had seen it, the worldless boy sprinted back and forth from his room to the kitchen before his stern father stopped him for dinner.