CHAPTER 26. Hot Chocolate

The next morning I woke up in River's bed alone and slowly rose. My feet didn't make a sound as I crept down the stairs, voices in the living room pausing as they noticed my presence.

The absence of Kayla in the group did nothing to soothe my fried nerves. Dune stood as I paused on the third to last step, noticing Nicholas sitting beside River.

"Raven, how are you feeling?" Dune asked from the bottom of the staircase, and I reached out, like a small child, for him to take me up in his arms.

Dune gently grabbed me, and I wrapped my legs around his waist, burying my face in his chest, hiding. Dune slowly walked back to where he was sitting, and held me as he sat back down.

I laid my head in his neck and sighed, messing with the top of his shirt. I glanced beside Dune and slid my hand to Fallon, holding his loosely.

  I closed my eyes as they continued their conversation, hardly listening. I wasn't all that interested, since my opinion probably wouldn't matter anyway.

A low sigh escaped my mouth, and Dune looked down at me. Feeling his eyes, I lifted my head and met his eyes. "Tired?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Yes, I'm tired," I agreed and couldn't help but glance at River. When I saw he was already looking at me, I hurriedly glanced at Dune's chest.

"Raven, we're going to be going out to look at houses that might be good to move to," River told me.

I nibbled on my bottom lip nervously, hand holding Fallon's tighter, my other twisting into Dune's shirt. "Oh, should I go? In case my kidnapper comes back?" My voice was low, but the room turned deathly silent instantly.

"Good point, but if you want to stay behind, Nicholas will stay with you," Fin told me. My eyes lit up, and I glanced at Nicholas, who nodded.

"I'll stay then," I announced and climbed off Dune, feeling better in knowing I would have time to think about everything I had learned.

"You can go, if you want to," River offered, and I felt his blue eyes on me as I turned my back on everyone, wanting to get something to eat.

"I don't want to, Fallon, will you come with me to the kitchen?" I asked, not looking back. I heard a rustle, and Fallon grabbed my hand. I felt a small smile grow on my lips as we walked together.

I opened the fridge with one hand and pulled out food from last night. "River is an asshole," I told Fallon as I let go of his hand to eat.

Fallon didn't say anything as he watched me chew, and I swallowed, I raised a finger. "Oh, are going to move with us? I want you to stay with us," I told him and paused when he looked down, cheeks turning a rosy hue.

I giggled and placed my nose on his, gently rubbing before pulling back and finishing my plate. "Guess I'm skipping school for a while," I mused thoughtfully and suddenly scowled.

I despised not knowing what was going on, and as soon as they left, I was going to question Nicholas until he spilled everything. Then, River could kiss my awesome ass.

"Fallon, where's the wicked witch?" I questioned, placing my dish in the sink. Fallon eyed me.

"Home, I think,"

My eyes lit up at the news, and I clapped my hands in delight. "About time!"

"About time what?" I paused and turned seeing Cross watching us. I opened my mouth before frowning and looking away. I hate that I'm thinking of what Kayla said, but it doesn't make sense that Cross was the first to arrive. I sighed and Cross narrowed his eyes, noticing my uneasiness.

"What's wrong?" He asked, but thankfully River walked in and interrupted.

"We're going now, are you sure you don't want to go?" River asked one last time, and I quickly shook my head and looked away stubbornly.

He walked over and I tensed as he kissed my forehead, lingering. "We'll be back by this evening, listen to Nicholas, okay?"

I nibbled on my bottom lip and slowly nodded. "O-okay..."

River hesitated, seeming uneasy before turning and gesturing for Fallon to come as well. I watched them out the window, but didn't run out to say goodbye.

I stilled and looked over my shoulder where Nicholas stood. He smiled and offered me a cup of hot chocolate, which I accepted. "Thank you," I said softly and watched them drive away.

"It'll be okay, Raven," Nicholas said gently and sat beside me on the couch near the window.

"I know... I just wish... things were different, you know?" I took a small drink, and Nicholas looked pained.

"Me as well, but I'm sure you'll know everything soon," his words were soothing. I smiled and took another sip.

"You think so?" I asked, mood brightening.

Nicholas laughed. "I know so,"

I leaned back and looked around the room, half expecting someone to burst out any moment. "Nicholas, how long have you known I'm not human?"

The vampire paused. "Since you were born,"

I stared into the mug. "You knew my parents too?" I asked and slowly looked up at him when he was silent.

Nicholas had his eyes closed. "Yes... I knew them, they were like family to me,"

I winced and turned my attention elsewhere. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked,"

Nicholas shifted. "No, it's fine, it was a long time ago, but it's still so vivid in my mind." My lips parted and I stared at him in shock.

"You were there when it happened?" My voice was high with shock, and the vampire nodded solemnly.

"Yes, I was..." He trailed off and didn't say anything else, making the room silent. I took a large drink of the chocolate. It was pretty good, but no one could beat Dune's.

I paused and tilted my head to the side, narrowing my eyes at the drink before looking at Nicholas hard. I paused and leaned forward, placing my drink on the table and standing.

"I'll be right back, I'm going to grab something," I told the vampire, who's eyes flashed to mine. He slowly nodded before standing as well.

"It would probably be good for me to come as well," he said slowly, watching me take a step backwards away from him.

I shook my head and waved a hand. "It's fine, I'll be right back," my voice cracked.

Nicholas smiled. "I insist, you're not safe on your own, what's so pressing that you need to run off on your own?"

I swallowed and glanced at the mug, and Nicholas sighed, following my gaze. "You've already drank half of it, it's too late Raven,"

I stumbled back a step and stared at him in horror. "Why though?"

He at me steadily. "Don't worry, it will be explained in due time,"

I got behind the couch, as if the barrier would somehow protect me. "Do you have to drug and kidnap me to do that?" I asked, panic edging into my voice. I touched my chest as my vision began to blur.

"Yes, because I can't explain everything, someone else is going to have to help me." Nicholas said calmly and walked around the couch, making me jump back and raise my arms.

"You're a cop!" I exclaimed, getting dizzy.

"Sadly, that doesn't stop everyone, don't worry, no one is going to hurt you," Nicholas promised. I tripped over my own feet and scooted backwards.

"Please don't," I begged looking at him fearfully.

"I'm sorry, Raven,"