CHAPTER 68 ↠ offer to help

"Where have you two been?" Finn asks Bea and Isaiah when they return to the Betting Shop

"Out by the canal," Bea says.

"You left early," he comments.

"I spoke to Tommy and then went to Polly's house."

"Could have woken me up to tell me you were going," he says, sulking.

"Ease up, Finn. She went to pray," Isaiah jokes. "I think she was in need to reconnect with God."

"Not funny, Isaiah."

Isaiah shrugs and lifts his hands up in surrender. "I'm going to work."

"What was he on about? Reconnect with God?"

"Isaiah was just being a little shit," Bea dismisses. "I did go to church, though. That's why I left early. You have a lot of work?"

"Not much."

"I need to speak with Tommy on my future role at the company."

"Now?"

"I don't know when he's got time, honestly. So, I'll see to it later. Perhaps I can help you now, with whatever you have to do."

They go to Finn's office, where he had work to do. After Finn sits in front of the desk, Bea goes to him and sits over one of his legs, with her arm around his shoulders as she looks at the papers across the desk.

"You can't read," she points out as she picks up one of the papers.

"They aren't meant to be read."

Bea drops the papers on the table.

"You know... Tommy is letting the man who killed Bonnie walk freely around Birmingham."

"That guy Jimmy?" Finn confirms.

"That one. You know anything about it?"

"No, I don't. You know he doesn't talk to me about that stuff."

"You should know about this stuff. Make him tell you what's happening."

"And how do I do that?"

"Get more involved. Ask more things. I'm sure if you went there to ask why McCavern is still alive he would answer your questions."