Cowards

Shout out to @Sirmla ! If you want a shout out, comment down below your favorite Dessert! Also it is easier for me to give shout outs if you follow me, so if you'd like to be twice as likely to get a shout out, you should follow this profile ;)

    "So..." Garrett sat on the floor of Asher's temporary bedroom where the boy was staying.

     "So." Asher repeated. "I uh.. I wanted to apologize to you."

     "You do?" Garrett's face twisted in surprise. "What for?"

     "For what happened with the team. For almost getting you kicked off."

     "Almost." Garrett smiled, "I didn't actually get kicked off. You came clean before that happened. That's really all that matters."

     "I- well.. I wanted to apologize for last year altogether. I got caught up with Simon and everything... and I guess I sorta left you out."

     "That's alright." Garrett shrugged. "I got really close with Shea."

      "You did?"

     "Yeah. Imagine that." Garrett chuckled. "With everything going on-"

      "How's your sister doing?" Asher interrupted, "Sorry." Asher mumbled sheepishly.

      "Not a problem." Garrett grinned. "She's much much better."

      "And?"

      "And I'm alright too."

     "That's... that's really good. I'm really glad to hear that." Asher hugged his shoulders a little closer. Relief flooded his system but Asher knew Garrett was the easiest person to talk to. He always had been.

     "So... you? How are you doing? You've got a lot going on, don't you."

     "I guess you could say that." Asher chuckled. "I think I'm doing better. It's kinda hard to tell."

     "I get that." Garrett shrugged. "Everything has a way of working itself out, I think."

     "I hope so." Asher nodded. "So you and Shea got close?"

     "I guess." Garrett ran a hand through his curls. "He's hard to read, and I guess we fight... alot. He isn't very nice to me, you know that? I think I have a habit of picking toxic friends."

     "I'd have to agree," Asher's face fell and he inhaled. "You see the reason I bring up Shea, is he's sorta the next person I wanted to apologize to."

     "Good luck with that," Garrett chuckled. "I'd hate to be you then. He's definitely more than a little angry with you."

     "Do you.. do you know where I could find him?"

      "I can text you his address, but he won't be happy to see you." Garrett shrugged.

      "I'm sure he won't."

....

     "Simon?" Liam's voice echoed throughout the house, and Simon sat up on the couch. Something about Liam's tone told Simon things were off, but in their house things always seemed to be off.

     "Yeah?" Simon called, walking over to the kitchen where the voice came from. Liam had been out with Mary for the afternoon, and was just coming in the door as he called out to his brother.

     "Simon, hey." Liam's tone was serious, "I think we should... we should talk."

     "About what?" Simon tilted his head to the side.

     "I- I haven't been completely honest with you." Liam looked down at his feet and shuffled squeamishly.

     "Liam, what's wrong?" Simon asked, forcing his brother to make eye contact. When Asher's eyes locked with Simon's large, saddened, blue eyes his resolve melted away. He had every intention of telling Simon the truth. The truth about the money, the truth about the girl, the truth about the job... The truth about everything but looking into his brother's eyes, he knew he was about to chicken out again like the sad little coward that he was.

     "I- when I saw you with Shea in here the other day.. I was just.. I was so worried." Liam began, trying where he could to tell the truth. "I.. when he said those things to you.. when he called you those words... I just-"

     "It's okay Liam." Simon smiled reassuringly. "I won't see him again." 

     "No!" Liam called, before quieting himself again. "No, you don't have to do that. What I'm trying to say is... I overreacted. I trust you, Simon. I trust you to take care of yourself, and if you like Shea, then... then you should go right ahead and go see him."

     "Where is this coming from?"

     "From me." Liam lied. "It's all coming from me. I was wrong to get angry with you. I can't control you. Maybe..." Liam gritted his teeth, "Maybe Shea really isn't so bad."

     "You.. This doesn't sound like you, Liam." Simon raised an eyebrow.

      "It.. I've grown. I was... I was talking to Mary, and she told me how when she met me.. how I was such a mess.. and I just needed a chance, and giving me that chance was what made me better. I think you.. I think you can make Shea better, so I'll try and withhold my judgement of him.. until... until he's been given a chance."

     "I.. thank you, Liam." Simon was unconvinced, but weary of a fight. He'd been longing to reach out to Shea, just to see how he was doing, and he felt it best not to look a gift horse in the mouth. If Liam said he trusted him, then he was strong enough to be trusted. Simon looked up to Liam, and if Liam thought he could look out for himself, then he could. "I know you have a funny way of showing you love me, but I know you do, and I love you too."

     "Thank you." Liam's face fell, and his eyes drifted back to his feet. Simon seemed happy at the news, which wasn't what he wanted. He didn't want to fight with Simon, or Simon to be sad, but he really really didn't want Simon to be excited. In truth he had absolutely no idea what he wanted. "I'm gonna.. I'm gonna go up and take a nap and then run out to practice. Are you cool for dinner."

     "I'm cool for dinner." Simon smiled. "Train hard and play well! I'll see you in the morning."

     "Definitely."  Liam agreed.

(A//N) Sorry about the break time between chapters. I've been very busy, but I'm still invested in this story 😀