Chapter 7

"...I don't know whether Malik is joking but he's doing too much" Chika told Tope about what happened earlier in the day on their way home.

Tope felt genuinely happy for Chika that his crush might like him back.

Chika was still struggling to believe that Malik could have feelings for him. Everything happened so quickly, and Chika and Malik had been in the same class for years. Chika had liked Malik for as long as he could remember, so the sudden revelation that Malik might reciprocate those feelings was hard for Chika to process.

He had to erase the idea that Malik liked him back from his mind, because he didn't want to get crushed by his crush.

"Since you asked... My day was horrible" Tope said.

"Oh my God... I'm so sorry, how was your day? I've just been too caught up in my own drama, I've still been avoiding Senior Lekan" Chika stated.

Tope had to ask again what exactly transpired between two of them.

"I'm being serious Tope, the guy came behind me and his dick was fucking big..." Chika felt really awkward saying that in front of Tope, He could see she felt the same way too, "...anyways, I got closer to him, that's when that stupid Lateef walked in, see the way Lekan denied my life."

Tope laughed hysterically.

"Tope it's not funny, I was scared honestly, I thought it was my end, thank God Lekan had sense and let me go" Chika said.

"And I thought I was suffering, I'm just happy I've paid school mother all her money" Tope talked about her day.

Chika asked how much it was in total, Tope mentioned four thousand naira, Chika was surprised, but not because it seemed much, but because it was small for Zuriel.

They had been accustomed to paying the extortion money demanded by Zuriel each month. In order to do so, they saved up their money to ensure they had enough to pay their 'dues'.

Shortly after Jason arrived home, he received a message from someone whose contact was saved in his phone as "LGM" - short for "lesbian godmother". It was the online friend whom he had recently met on Telegram.

She was checking on him to see how he was doing. He told her all about his day, including a lie about Timi definitely wanting to get back with him.

She took a while to respond, so Jason browsed through the WhatsApp status of his contacts. That's when he saw a text written by Timi on his own status: "Why are you so obsessed with me?" Jason was surprised by the message and wondered what could have prompted Timi to write something like that on his status. He felt a mix of emotions: confusion, frustration, and even a hint of sadness. He couldn't understand why Timi would write something like that on his status and wondered if there was any truth to the statement.

Jason immediately felt attacked and thought Timi was throwing shade at him.

"Wow I know Timi can be a childish person at times... But I never knew he could go as low as throwing shade at me on his status" Jason texted LGM.

She responded to the message and apologized for taking so long to reply. She then asked a question "what if it wasn't directed at you?" And "why do you think he's talking about you?"

Jason couldn't give any solid reason but just felt it was about him.

When Jason saw Stephanie at school the next morning, he decided to tell her about the post while they were walking to the chemistry lab. He tried to keep up with Stephanie's pace as they walked, Nevertheless Jason continued to talk before they reached their destination.   

"Guy no! It was a line from a song. He posted a screenshot of someone completing it." Stephanie paused.

Jason discretely checked his phone to confirm what Stephanie had said. Sure enough, he saw that Stephanie was right. "That's what he wants you to think" But Jason completely ignored it.

"Why would you even think it's about you? How are you obsessed with him?" Stephanie had to ask.

"Forget" Jason deflected, Stephanie got upset and walked away in the opposite direction.

Stephanie saw Timi and Moyo cutting class at their block and decided to intervene. She walked over to Timi and separated him from Moyo, wanting to get to the bottom of the situation. Stephanie asked Timi what was going on between him and Jason, her voice filled with concern and curiosity.

Timi, looking sheepish and uncomfortable, began to explain "It's a song, I wasn't throwing shade at anyone." 

"I know but why would he even think it was him in the first place? See I don't know what's going on again oh, I would stop talking to you guys, I swear!" Stephanie walked away even more upset.

"Stephanie na" Timi tried to beg her, but she kept walking. Moyo remained confused and unsure of what to do.

Sometime after the sixth period ended. Malik was running late when he submitted his math holiday assignment to the department. As he was leaving, Mrs. Jeffrey, his math teacher, asked him if he could do her a favor and help call Zuriel. Malik agreed, hoping to help out his teacher and get back to his other responsibilities. When Malik returned to the department a short while later, he was accompanied by Zuriel. Mrs. Jeffrey was grateful for the assistance.

"You can be going Malik, thank you." Mrs Jeffrey said, Malik left. "Zuriel someone complained you always collect more money from the 'step girls', you know I trust you, so I had to ask"

"Ma, I don't force them, if they give me more money I don't oblige"

"Please! I don't want to hear any report from parents, stop collecting money from this junior students."

Zuriel wanted to talk back, but she stopped herself and listened to everything Mrs. Jeffrey said until she was told to leave.

Malik rushed to tell his classmates that Zuriel was in Mrs Jeffrey's office.

"Who casted her?" Tope asked.

"Was it not you?" Olamide asked Tope.

"No why would I?"

The entire class was in an uproar as they tried to figure out who it was. Many of them believed it was Tope, regardless of her protestations of innocence. Malik seemed no longer concerned and was more focused on playfully teasing Chika. Tope, on the other hand, was visibly worried and anxious.