34 Get Out

I hadn't seen Ella since my uncle had gone out to the gardens and never come back inside. I assumed he'd gone home to sober up and said a silent prayer of thanks for it. But Ella was nowhere to be found either and I'd intended to spend as much time with her as I could tonight, whilst making it seem like I wasn't, of course.

"Your Grace," someone called out for the upteenth time tonight but this time I turned to see that it was the Countess calling my name. She was dragging a young man by the sleeve, Emily following behind her, rolling her eyes as always. "This is Colin Ashworth, Emily's betrothed."

"A pleasure to meet you Colin," I replied, smiling as I extended a hand in greeting. Colin smiled back shyly and shook my hand, saying nothing in return.

"I wanted him to meet the gentleman whose been so kind as to allow us to use his home as a venue for the wedding," the Countess gushed happily. "And to allow us to stay with him to plan. It's all been so very generous and has made dear Emily so happy I thought Colin should meet the man that made it all possible."

"That's very kind of you, Countess. I assure you, I'm much more in your debt than this for how you took me into your own home without question and housed me indefinitely," I replied, leaving the rest unsaid. And for how you gave birth to the woman who holds my whole heart. "Will you be staying with us as well, Colin?"

"Oh, well, I made some inquiries at an inn in the city-"

"Nonsense. We've enough room for another. You'll stay with us."

I clapped him on the back and walked away, the decision having been final. I heard generous words of praise from the Countess as I walked away, in search of Ella once again. Instead, I found Madison who informed me that her husband had grown quite drunk and she supposed it was time to get him home. Unable to find Ella, I decided I was entirely done with this ball myself and suggested we all head home.

So we rounded up the party, Madison having been able to find Ella when I could not, and headed back to the estate. I wasn't in the same carriage as Ella. Elijah and I had needed to go with Madison to help Benthem in and out of the cab. It took a great effort, when we arrived back home, to get him into bed. Once Madison declared she would take it from here, Elijah and I left to find Colin standing aimlessly in the hall. I muttered a curse. Right. He needed a room. I quickly had the servants arrange something for him and headed back downstairs once that was all taken care of.

I finally found her, standing in the hallway that my office was in, smiling as she engaged in conversation with none other than my uncle. My fists clenched at my sides, jaw tightening at the mere sight of them in conversation. I stormed over just as he handed her something and she nodded and took it.

"-will have to read it then," Ella was saying politely, gazing down at the book in her hands which Edward had just given her.

"That you will," he chuckled. "Quite the fascinating read. And if you're interested in the classics-"

"Get out."

It took me a moment to realize that growling command had come from me. They both halted their conversation and looked up at me as I approached. Ella's lips parted in surprise. Edward just blinked at me as if he hadn't heard me correctly.

"Victor-" Ella started but I didn't so much as glance at her.

"Get out of my house now and don't ever come back."

"He was only lending me a book-"

"Leave."

The anger in my voice left no room for argument. Even Ella's defenses died on her tongue. Edward looked from me to her, knowingly, and then nodded as if he'd just understood something that very moment. Then he sighed and stepped around us, headed for the door.