Chapter forty-seven

Layla

I can leave?

A frown deepens from the thought of this being some sort of trick.

     "You can leave" Maylock confirms "I'll just talk to Baymin and say that you've going out into Lakeintown with me"

     "Oh so he does hold all the cards" I deduce from his statement.

     "No Layla, that's not the case"

     "You literally just said you'll talk to Baymin. There was no mention of the other Guardians. It's like you need his permission"

     "So are you considering it? You're leaving" he ignores my assumptions that are definitely true as he wouldn't be diverting this conversation.

     "Are you distracting yourself from the fact that Baymin does actually have a hold over you?" I snap back.

     "He doesn't have a hold over me Layla. I owe him my life and what it's come too."

     "And he's using that as a way to keep you in his back pocket?" I'm bewildered.

     "Layla please" he pauses. "I respect him a lot. I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for him. He's just doing what is best for you to get the maximum protection you need"

     "But this is not the best way for me"

     "So leave then" he simply states and I walk over to the stairs leading down to the wide wooden door. Maylock follows closely behind. 

     "Why aren't you trying to stop me?" I frown, suspicious.

     "I am just seeing how far you would go" he grins in anticipation. "I think there's something keeping you here which is why you haven't taken the ample opportunities to leave"

     "Don't start that again. There is nothing here" I dismiss him but there is a reason deep down. "You literally said I can leave, I'm just baffled that you aren't trying to stop me"

     "So off you go then" he beckons and I head down the stairs, taking each one slowly.

I reach the door but cannot seem to move my hand to touch the handle and open it.

     "See something is there" he observes.

     "There isn't anything Maylock." I deny.

     "Well, what is stopping you now?" I don't answer because I know that I would be back where I started - alone for all that time.

If I left, then I wouldn't have anyone to talk too apart from the people I would sell my drawings too in the city but those conversations don't have any backing upon them. They are just hello's and good byes with a little bit of small talk in between. Nothing in detail. Nothing that lasts. Being with the Guardians gave me sustenance in talking to people for long durations of time and by staying with them I know that I will not be first anymore. I will be second, always with people and that is what I do miss, what I really crave...

I suppose it wouldn't be that bad living here, in a bed with much better shelter and warmth to what I had in my shack. It's just the fact that I don't know anybody here but if I stay it would probably lead me to know more about everyone. It just takes time. That's all I need. I have nothing holding me down at the moment apart from being withheld information but with a few wriggles of conversation with Maylock by himself, I think that can be unlocked. There's got to be more than he's telling me and I strive to know it.

++++++++++++++++

I walk up the stairs and meet with Maylock who is studying me, his fingers resting over his mouth, clearly hiding a smirk as he is leaning on the wall supported with his arm. He looks so carefree. The sun from the skylights is beaming on him, making his blue eyes sparkle.