Chapter 57 - Friends, Rivals & Other Relationships

Another night of no sleep, so I wrote this instead.

Paul (PoV)

Paul was taking his time drying the dishes. Leaving Virgil and Damien to talk. Although the conversation from what he could hear sounded pretty awkward and stilted. He thought Damien finding him there had put him off his mission. He wasn't sure whether it was the four glasses of very good red or the changes he'd noticed in himself but something was urging him on,  he felt like he wanted to see, if with a little provocation, he could start some fireworks between these two. Or maybe he wanted the opposite. He wasn't sure.  But he did feel like taking a risk, it was very unlike him, perhaps Virgil was rubbing off on him.

Paul finished with the last dish and put them away. Without the others seeing he popped three more buttons on his shirt and shook it open, ruffled his hair a bit more. He poured himself another wine and sat down on the couch at the opposite end from Virgil. Damien sat in the armchair facing them. This is awkward he thought, just the way he wanted it.

"You missed an excellent meal Alpha. Virgil is a very good cook." He threw the comment into the conversation.

"We were busy until late I didn't realise the invitation was still open." Damien sat stiff and upright in his chair. The only one in the room who didn't look relaxed and comfortable. Paul thought that Damien never considered that he wasn't the only person invited. Somewhere in his mind, whether he admitted it to himself or not Damien still thought of Virgil as being exclusively his.

"And yet you're still here." Paul pointed out. His tone made both Damien and Virgil squirm a little.

"I wanted to apologise for being so offhand this morning. I was surprised to see you and it put me off." Damien meant to be sincere but Virgil's reaction was to laugh.

"I'm off-putting, am I?" He continued to laugh. Virgil curled up on the couch enjoying himself. He felt good and wanted to keep feeling this way. The heaviness was lifting from his heart.

Damien looked flustered. "That's not quite what I meant..." He should just shut his mouth he was making things worse. Coming here was a mistake. Having the two of them looking at him was making him feel like a bug under a microscope. He was the Alpha for fuck's sake.

"It's OK...I'm just teasing you. I realise it was probably awkward seeing me all of a sudden but it's something I had to do for my sanity." Virgil said more seriously. "Don't worry yourself. Paul has been catching me up on all the news so everything is cool."

"Paul is an absolute blessing from the Goddess." Virgil added. Damien was starting to feel pissed off.

Virgil looked at Paul, wondering if the PA was starting to defrost at last. He noticed how laid back he looked compared to his normal guardian persona. The wine had made his eyes soften and he had the tiniest smirk on his face. Even his shirt was wrinkled, with spots of water from doing the dishes. He was even flashing a little smooth firm chest. He liked his hair messed up. Paul noticed Virgil's eyes linger on him and so did Damien. Paul had to admit he liked being looked at like that, those green eyes sparking a little something inside him, and it was certainly lighting a fire under Damien. Maybe it might make the Alpha pull his finger out and work harder at getting Virgil's attention.

"You know this is the most, dare I say human, I've ever seen you look, Paul," Virgil said. "Oh no...I take that back. I remember when I saw you looking more relaxed than this." Virgil couldn't help but smile from ear to ear. His beautiful hooded green eyes opening wide and his face blushing...he suddenly pictured Paul writhing under Charlotte about to come. He laughed out loud at the sudden vivid image. Damien looked annoyed and confused. Paul looked horrified, shit!!! don't say it, don't say it.

Paul tensed. Ok he hadn't planned on any revelations about their night at Alfonso's to come out tonight.

"Virgil." He said a little too sharply. Virgil looked at Paul his face said.. SHUTUP!!! GO NO FURTHER!!!!

He squeezed his mouth shut, his eyes filling with tears and he tried comically to hold back the laughter. Virgil understanding Paul's message perfectly and yes, he knew the danger of saying anything else....but OMG the image in his head was so funny. He took a deep breath, one last giggle escaped and then he was under control.

"Sorry about that I went off on a tangent for a moment." He got up and went to the sink and poured out his drink. "I think I have to boot you guys out. I'm needing my zzz's. I have a busy day tomorrow." Paul breathed again. He really should have told Damien about that trip by now but for some reason he wanted to keep it between him and Virgil. He knew he would never share his part in the night with anyone. He hadn't even spoken about it with Virgil.

Abruptly the night ended. Paul grabbing his jacket and tie and Damien reluctantly rising and heading for the door. He never got to say one word of his prepared speech. This was definitely was not one of his better ideas.

Virgil shooed them out, everyone saying their goodbyes. Damien stepped out first and saw Virgil leaning up and whispering "Sorry." close to Paul's ear, with a huge grin on his face.

"It's not funny." Paul snarled.

 "From my angle it was." Virgil pointed out.

"I can tell tales too...and I've got the scar to prove it."

Virgil instantly looked sheepish. "Touché."

He looked down into Virgil's eyes for a second and wondered how the Alpha could be such an idiot not to fight harder for him. Looking into his guileless, ethereal face just made you feel good, Virgil was good for the soul. Then he saw the angry expression on Damien's face as he watched their exchange, perhaps there was hope for him yet. Paul punched Virgil hard in the shoulder as he walked out. "You can be a little shit sometimes."