57◦✿◦Weddings, Questions and Swords

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

The emperor's love for Empress Diana was notorious. Rumors have it that Alexander conquered the neighboring kingdoms, not because of pure intentions, but because it was an offering to her.

As a witness, even for a short time, Lizzie believed so. One of the many proofs of such love was the intimate imperial wedding as requested by the now official empress.

Lizzie's not a crier, but she did shed a tear after vows were exchanged and Alec offered her a handkerchief.

"Can I blow my nose on this?" she asked him, in a minute voice. Well, of course, she wouldn't. She just had to make sure the silky cloth could be stained. She'd die from the embarrassment of being caught outside the corners of her room ugly crying and sniffling.

He nodded.

Her thoughts wandered to her own parents' wedding. Kirien might have looked ethereal too. Devanti is a different case. Did he even smile? Based on pieces of information she caught during her stay and years in Nordis, it started as a marriage to bind the divorced then widower duke. Then came love.

But it ended in a tragedy.

May the gods bless this one, she thought watching the imperial couple.

Her melancholy ceased when the ceremony ended. It was then proclaimed to the waiting citizens outside. For the first time in a long while, the imperial couple appeared publicly together with Alec.

Just an hour later, the ball began. As she requested, there was no formal introduction like the other nobles and invited dignitaries. Somehow Lizzie regretted it as she was now walking like an open secret, with people hesitant to pay their respects as Norvillon royalty or flee in fear of incurring her wrath thanks to her family's reputation.

The only ones she was introduced to were Duke Ysivan, the prime minister, and his wife Duchess Therese. Lizzie assumed that if it wasn't for the ball and formalities, the couple would have crushed her in an embrace as they chorused how she resembled Kirien and they were happy she was found.

Another notable guest was a woman who seemed intimate with Diana and earned a few glares from the emperor as the two women danced.

"Er'Uno. Levichian Emperor," Alec whispered to her once.

"You're kidding," Lizzie whispered back. It might be also known to a few because the said woman was not formally announced earlier.

The surprise might have painted on her face as the Levichian Emperor caught her eye and granted Lizzie a wink.

"Is she single?" she asked.

"As of the moment, yes."

"Please introduce me to her." Lizzie discreetly tugged the sleeves of Alec's coat.

The prince who witnessed the wink muttered a short and final "No."

"I must meet her, for economic purposes," she insisted.

She heard interesting things about Levich and their ruler. Never mind the age gap, but would Erdan be interested? It would be fun watching a couple overpowering each other. "Alec, please introduce us."

"Eyes on me, Lizzie. Not to others."

Was it not enough that she was in a ball of a man whom his father once threatened, and being escorted by the crown prince she had pages of scandals in papers?

Must he lift her chin to meet eyes? "Only on me."

"Why you little shi—" she stepped away and breathed. "Stop surprising me like that." This is not healthy for her heart. Not at all.