Chapter 15: Hidden In One's Heart

[A/N: I wasn't actually going to publish this part, but I supposed I should since I haven't in a long while.

To be honest I had no intention of making the novel so mysterious and psychological, since I'm not someone who can easily keep secrets.

BUT! This chapter is super important to the understanding and future development of the plot.

After this I plan on making a list of the characters, with a basic understanding of what part they play as a refresher- but that's not guaranteed.

Maybe should I start a Q and A? If you're interested you can ask me any questions you have about the novel, other novels I've written, about writing or any thing you can think of.

Happy reading.]

*

In the Grand Dukes study, his purple eyes stared fixedly with curved lips at the image displayed from an orb. Akin to a projector he watched fixedly as the black haired youth, fought bravely and won slyly speaking to the empress.

Daring to even speak lies to the royal family he chuckled quietly, making his secretary shiver wondering if something bad had happened.

Touching the orb on the desk as the image disappeared, taking a brief break from the paperwork he'd had to do. Brushing the feather tip of the quill against his face, he asked quietly with an oppressive elegance.

Short black hair combed back as dark as moonless night, his features seductively beautiful. With bluish-Violet eyes that shine softly like diamonds, making people misunderstand such a gaze that seemed to be full of ambiguous affection.

Especially when he smiled, unfortunate such a man was a hunting dog that killed when provoked. His family being the line to cross, should any noble want to die.

Specifically his daughter.

"What is the status report of current events?"

"Your Grace, the crown prince has just retired to his bedroom and the knights stated that although they lost contact with the young lady soon after the tournament. They were able to find her entering Sweet Dreams."

Looking up with a chill, "What was she doing there?" His aggressive gaze ready to kill him if he didn't speak up.

Swallowing dryly, "My lady was in the tea house for two hours, as a show for an assassins guild, the knights checked the surroundings."

"They believed she has close ties to the guild."

Squinting the duke replied, "She is a mercenary it is to be expected, their purpose is to protect her covertly. I don't have the right to pry deeply into her business, in the future only inform me of these superficial things."

Taking the folder as he traced the potential identities of the true owner of the most notorious assassins guild, which started its infamy through the swallowing of lesser dark businesses and expanding its territory precisely and cleanly like the cutting of flesh with a knife.

"I'll wait for her to tell me herself."

Circling around three names, he thought as the most inconspicuous.

"Make sure everything is perfect for Celestine's arrival."

"Yes your grace." Letting go of his held in breath.

'I hope the lady won't behave as scary as the duke.'

***
"Did you do as I instructed Count Delaney, Marquis?" The Empress Annabelle Bailey asked, gold eyes watching them piercingly.

Seated opposite her in the empress's palace, the maid greeted the empress and her close aides. Serving them tea and high desserts before leaving, the Marquis frowning unconsciously at the results of his search.

"Utilising Count Delaneys men, there have been no clear results to the information regarding the grand dukes daughter."

Biting her lip impatiently, asking shrilly "Did you not hear the news of the sword tournament? That boy was saved by the grand dukes daughter and became a knight- the badge was genuine!"

Frowning the Count listened carefully, placing his tea cup down elegantly.

"Your highness how do you not know this isn't some kind of ploy? The Grand Duke has been silent for so many years already... perhaps have you heard the rumours your highness?" The Counts fox eyes glittering with mischief, speaking softly as if to coax a child.

"Rumours? Speak." The hands under the long sleeves piercing the flesh of her palms in anger.

'Why is that girl still alive, just because-, why is it so impossible to kill you?!'

"A while ago there were rumours travelling from the Imperial Academy, the Crown Prince had graduated two years in advance." Seeking sadistic pleasures of seeing through the undercurrents of the Empress's cracking expression.

"The grand duke is after all now in the capital and who knows where the crown prince is hiding? Your highness."

"Also the nobles are restless as you request for the young maidens of weaker households to come to the palace as maids, many dead bodies have been found." Blood lust overtaking her as the empress's voice became more magnetic and enthralling.

Commanding anyone close to her to succumb to her will.

"I will not reply to such a thing, you do what you MUST and have them believe in your lies." Bright pink irises watching both of their glazed over forms, bowing their heads at her in submission.

"The grand dukes daughter should only be a weak child, is she of such great importance to be so wary?" He droned honestly, spitting out every thought and desire as easy as a drunk.

"Of course! Who knows whether that is true? It's her potential is whats fearsome!" Annabelle shouted hysterically, unknowing to a pair of smart golden irises hidden by overgrown black bangs.

The maid hiding and listening in without being seen, dressed in a uniform bigger than his slender frame, tied right up to the neck, so the protrusions usually found in men were carefully concealed.

'If she is alive how am I supposed to live in this world?'

"And the crown prince, what should I do about him Count?"

"Isn't that obvious? Simply announce that those rumours are false and he won't be returning to the palace until after he graduates. The more unfavourable rumours that exist about the crown prince, the less the nobles and people will approve of his eventual return to the Imperial palace."

Smiling finally satisfied, her eyes returned to their gentle honey like appearance.

Shooing them away Empress Annabelle returned to her private quarters, pulling back a pulley from behind the headboard of the large bed covered with velvet curtains.

'Ludus you promised to give me what I want.' She thought solemnly.

A hidden shelf retracted where a locked chest was placed, removing the key which was always placed on her person. Inside was hidden a lone tattered book, appearing to have been read thousands of times.

Picking up the book as if it were her life line she bit the nail of her thumb in anxiety.

'I should have known how difficult it is to kill the protagonist, in her own book.'