Chapter 1: "... she's my soulmate?"

Do you want to know one thing that could ruin your day? I should be partying the day before my senior year. Instead, I got to see my girlfriend hooking up with one of the jocks. Ugh, I don't understand her taste with the jocks. I can't stand their toxic masculinity and their armpits.

"Babe, I'm sorry. Please, it's not what it looks like," Lydia pleaded through the phone.

"Really? Cause what it looks like you were sucking Cain's face," I stated blandly. I stared on the road and replayed the memory when I was staggered at Lydia kissing Cain in the bathroom. I escaped from the scene and wandered off somewhere with my Corolla. I remember Lydia broke my heart into pieces, and my body started to tremble.

"Well, technically yes, but-"

I groaned, "thank you, Captain Obvious. Now please leave me alone."

The conversation died down a bit, and I heard Lydia scoff, "Claude, I don't need this right now. Just come back here, and we'll talk."

I can't believe what I just heard. I should be saying it! Not her. Why is she even looked mad? I was supposed to be mad at her. I hate when she does this, "Really? I can't believe you said that. Do you even understand how I feel?" I gave her a second to talk, and I heard her take a deep breath.

"Are you driving, Claude? You're drunk," Lydia said, ignoring my remarks.

"I'm not drunk! You're drunk, Lydia!" I exclaimed to the phone. I might be drunk, but I'm not drunk enough to forget what I just saw at the party.

"Another reason why I accidentally kissed Cain," I can feel her eyes rolling, "where are you anyway?"

"What is wrong with you, Lydia? And it's none of your business to know my whereabouts," I grunted and hung up the phone harshly. I threw my phone to the passenger seat and breath sharply.

Sometimes I forget how did I fall for someone like Lydia. We've been in a relationship for two years, and everything was fine at first. Lydia Todd wasn't the girl I used to know after joining the cheerleaders in Junior year. She was shy, cute, and constantly flustered when I came around her. But, when she started hanging out with the cheerleaders, she began to use makeup and wear too revealing clothes- not that I was complaining. It's just her personality changed. I don't understand the cause of her sudden changes. Is it her fault for being friends with the wrong people, or is it me who's failed to protect her?

I stopped my car at the nearest beach. I was passing through the trees and the lamp post shining through the darkness of New Jersey. The stores that I've walked past closed already. I mean, it's midnight. Of course, they're closed. I walk towards my favourite spot to contemplate my thoughts. I went to the docks and towards the bench at the end of the ports. I always come here alone whenever I feel overwhelmed. I sat on the bench, stared at the blue ocean, and asked myself, "is there any reason for me to keep maintaining this relationship with Lydia?"

I was happy with Lydia when she was the Lydia I knew. Ever since she changed, there was never a day without us arguing about non-sense things, and I was the one who always gave in. I don't know how I'm still with her. One thing she's good at is her words. Yeah, she is always good with her words which allows her to manipulate me. I admit I always fell for her words. I just... I don't have the guts to... I don't know... I don't even know what I'm talking about.

I sighed and grasped my necklace with a key pendant. It's a matching necklace I had with Lydia. I have the key pendant, and she has the padlock pendant.

"I know you'll be here," a woman voiced behind me. I looked behind, and I saw a woman walking towards me. The moon lights her brunette hair and her tired eyes staring at me. Her oversized olive pea coat warmed her body. She looks like she is in her twenties or something. Why does she look like me? Maybe it's because of the hair, face, and way she walks.