Chapter 145

Ashford county is a domain on the western part of Orion principally known for the camellia flowers that grow only in the territory due to its unique ambiance.

The members of the Ashford family, the Lords of the land were country nobles, who do not involve themselves in politics or any court affairs unless it directly affected their territory. 

Unbeknownst to a lot of people, Ashford county is the home to one of the most elite military powers in the empire, the Eagle Knights led by the head of the family.

With a territory that was flourishing in nature and the Eagle Knights guarding the lands, they had built an invisible wall around themselves isolating their territory from the rest of the country.

Much like the Frosts, the Ashfords were among some of the oldest families of Orion that have prevailed since the foundation of the empire. Yet most of the central nobles of the capital were oblivious to their existence because of a humble lifestyle and ambitionless disposition.

As far as history was concerned, the Ashfords have been on the sidelines of Orion's history. For it was one that has produced competent commanders of war in times of need for generations.

At the end of the Calvan war, the Ashfords had retreated back to their territory after refusing a military position in the capital against the wishes of the Emperor much to his dismay.

That was the last time the name 'Ashford' was mentioned in the capital.

Henceforth, the Ashfords have avoided indulging in social circles aside from attending the foundation ball and tax meeting which was mandatory for all noble families in the empire.

Now here's the question.

How does someone from such a family be so well versed in restricted knowledge about Havu curses that the elves are mindful of?

How is it that she is aware of facts regarding the confidential investigations of the Esdels and the Saintess of Kal that even the Emperor is scarcely informed of?

"Would you look at that gorgeous serpent"

Whistling at the site of the curse placed on her own husband without the slightest bit of shock was my newly wedded wife, Angelica, a daughter of the Ashfords.

The admiration she was expressing was in stark contrast with what you would expect from an ordinary person especially a well brought up noble lady to express. It reminded me of Orme Leviatan's reaction during the autopsy of former Marquis Esdel's corpse.

Up until a few hours before, Angelica was no different from any other noble in the empire. 

As a figure in the shadows of society and a young lady yet to make her debutante, I was a stranger to her just much as a stranger she was to me.

Even though I have never seen her before, I knew of Angelica Ashford through the words of one of my tutors, the infamous alchemist, Axel Gilbert.

Out of all the instructors I have seen, he was the only person without any ulterior motives and solely focused on educating his disciple. Ultimately that made alchemy the only class I could look forward to. 

In retrospect, Master Gilbert had a vicious tongue and a condescending demure that made it impossible for him to properly interact with others. 

Since his vast expertise in alchemy deemed him irreplaceable in the field, no one dared to rebel against the old man regardless of their position.

Still, there was one student who did just that.

"Why can't I have more students like you, Frost? Here I am stuck with a brat with no empathy towards knowledge"