Chapter One.

Part I

Marilyn Hayes

*

I wake up to the screeching sound of my alarm. I groan and sit up on my bed. Just another hellish day for me. I look beside me to find no one there as usual. What was I even expecting? It's not as if he always sleeps at home.

I get out of bed and head toward the bathroom to freshen up. It's six-thirty in the morning and I am currently contemplating what the hell went wrong with my life.

I got married. That's what happened. 

I take a quick shower and change into a comfortable T-shirt and tights. I have to go downstairs and have my coffee before I do anything else because if I don't I'll probably die.

"Good morning, Mrs. Hayes." The housemaid greets me as soon as I step out of my room, I nod at her.

"Good morning, Tessa. Is he home yet?" I ask, knowing fully well that he isn't.

"No, Mrs. Hayes. Mr. Hayes is expected to come any minute now." She tells me as if I didn't already know. I nod again and start climbing down the stairs as she follows me.

I make my way toward the kitchen and start making my coffee.

"Please allow me to make your coffee for you, Mrs. Hayes." Tessa tries to take the coffee pot from my hand but I stop her.

"It's okay. I told you that you don't have to treat me like that, I like doing my work. Why isn't the cook here yet?" I ask her.

"He's in the pantry, he'll be here in a few minutes." 

"Okay. Tell the cook to start preparing the breakfast." I tell her as she nods.

I take my coffee to the living room and sit down on the couch. I'm sleepy and I wish I could sleep more but I couldn't. I have to wake up at six-thirty in the morning, no exception. This is my life.

It's been a couple of months since my life shifted completely. I used to be a normal twenty-four-year-old girl, with a decent job and a small apartment. Which my father left for me in his will before passing away three years ago. I used to live with my mother until she had a heart attack a year ago which turned out to be fatal.

Losing my parents wasn't easy of course, as I didn't have any siblings or family members besides them. I had to be strong to survive and that's when my life started changing.

I started working as a personal assistant for the previous CEO of Hyes and Co. last year. Mr. Hayes was a good boss, he is an old man who used to treat me like his daughter and trusted me. 

Trusted me enough to make me his daughter-in-law. 

Long story short, Mr. Hayes was worried about what would happen to his grandson when he dies, He wanted him to get married so that he won't be alone.

But his grandson would never agree to that, and that was when Mr. Hayes told him that if he didn't get married he won't be becoming the next CEO of Hayes and Co.

That didn't budge him either and that was what lead to a big fight among them causing Mr. Hayes to collapse. 

That's where I step into their story. Mr. Hayes begged me to marry his grandson because he had agreed to get married and according to Mr. Hayes there was no better option than me. And of course, being the softie I am, I couldn't say no.

I didn't have a family, I had no one in this world so it was easy for me to say yes. I thought at that time, that this marriage would be a success. Because why not?