Chapter IX: To Coax, And Be Coaxed

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

11 October, Year 1 of Sebastian VI, Emperor of the Longbournian Nations' reign

Longbourne Military Academy for Women, Amöneburg

The Longbournian Nations

Captain Keitel was nothing short of amazing.

The meeting that she had called up last night regarding Cadet Eichmann's destroyed quarters – and similar issues faced by a few other younger students – had still not ended, even though it was already nearing dawn.

Although a few were still furiously taking down notes, most of the thirty Corporals, Duelling and Archery Mistresses were either close to, or already dozing off on the table. Corporal Baudelaire was even snoring a little on my right, as she slept against the cool, oak surface of the table.

Yet, Captain Keitel stood upright, talking, bursting with energy as usual.

"I need coffee," Corporal Montgomery groaned softly from my other side, gripping her head in her hands, "so badly."

I gazed at her sympathetically through my own half-open eyes. The poor woman had been awake for close to two days now, due to guard duty at the Palace the night before, and this meeting tonight.

I pushed my cup of coffee, that had been served hours ago, towards her. "Here, you can have mine. It has long cooled, though."

"What about you?"

"I do not like coffee," I yawned, rubbing my eyes, "it is too bitter for my taste."

Assured and grateful, she grabbed the cup from me, and gulped it down.

"....and I shall come up with a duty roster by tomorrow for guarding the student dormitories and classrooms at our Academy. Please remember that this is in addition to the duties that may have been assigned to you by the male army officers in charge of Palace security," Captain Keitel was saying, "any questions?"

Corporal Montgomery raised her hand.

"Yes, Corporal?" Captain Keitel pointed to her.

"Please, may we have the morning off from dawn training?" she blinked at her, "ma'am, we are exhausted."

"Hear, hear," the rest of our colleagues murmured.

For the first time during the entire meeting, she looked around at us, truly noting our drawn and tired countenances. After some deliberation, she released a sigh.

"All right, I will cancel dawn training for today, and increase the duration of the evening session," she compromised reluctantly, "but those of you who are teaching the theory lessons at 08 00 hours will still have to report to their classes on time. Am I clear?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"That will be all, then. You are dismissed."

There was a loud scraping of chairs, as everyone dragged themselves off their seats, eager to reach their soft, warm beds in their sleeping quarters as soon as possible.

In the meanwhile, Corporal Montgomery was shaking Corporal Baudelaire awake. "Arielle. Arielle."

Corporal Baudelaire woke with a start, looking about wildly. "What did I miss?"

"The last three hours of this new day," I chuckled, ruffling her hair, "ma'am has cancelled dawn training, so you can continue sleeping in our chambers. Come, let us go." Corporal Montgomery and I pulled her up to her feet.