☔︎︎Chapter Twenty-One: Everything Has Changed ☔︎︎

I drop the locket and take out the pen and paper, I can't act surprised or I'll alert Rune, so I act perfectly normal

"Did you find it?" Rune asks impatiently,

"Yes, I did." I affirm, "let's get gift wrapping yeah?"

Rune and I spend the next hour or so wrapping up all of Martina's birthday presents and yes I was counting, and they totalled up to about 23 gift boxes, each with its own individual gift. I think to myself about how much effort Rune always puts into making sure Martina feel special, how much effort he always puts in to make sure she feels seen and appreciated. I can't help but wonder if she'll ever return his affections.

But knowing Rune he'd probably say it wasn't about whether or not she was planning on returning his love, that it wasn't a Business transaction but an indication of his devotion for her regardless or not of whether she felt the same.

After Rune and I wrapped up all her gifts I made my way back to my room and my bed was completely made, all my clothes were off the floor and a pair of clothes had been picked out for me by my pillow.

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

"Blythe I told you you didn't have to do this!" I laughed turning around but then the person I bumped into was definitely not Blythe.

"Blythe isn't the one whose name you ought to be screaming Nadya." Klaus deadpans, "I run you a bath too, so go ahead and do that before we leave, the post office closes soon."

"Klaus I-" I begin but he cuts me off,

"Don't, I've got the message loud and clear okay? You don't think I'm capable of doing anything without selfishness. It's alright and I don't blame you, most have that image of me, I was in the wrong to assume that maybe you'd see me in a different light." He expresses that he's actually being sincere and that shakes me to my core.

Who is this man standing before me, and at what point did his thoughts towards me change?

"I- I'm gonna go take a bath, I'll be back in a few," I respond because I don't know what else to say.