chapter twelve: legal contract

• • •
Tayla

     Since as long as I could remember, my parents groomed me to be the ideal woman of society. Being as high class as my parents are, their main priority when raising their children were to make sure we matched their standards to a tee. There was this extra pressure put onto me growing up for I was not only first born, but also the first daughter.

     When most little girls were pretending to play tea party, I would sit with Maria, my nanny, in the sunroom for an hour everyday and actually practice hosting afternoon tea. She would instruct me to execute all sorts of different party etiquettes. Only pick up your saucer if you are standing otherwise it remains on the table. Never leave your spoon in your saucer for tea stains quickly. Tea should be consisted of light snacks and never eat a scone with a fork or a knife.

     These rules were engraved into my mind that by the time I got older, I was a natural at public events. I memorized anything and everything to make sure I was completely perfect in front of my parent's colleagues and friends. They would tell me one small thing and I would never forget it. Doing this gave me extra brownie points with my parents.

     This memorization strategy helped me become so successful in nursing. Schooling was no walk in the park. You have to memorize countless amounts of facts whether it be chemistry, psychology, biology, anatomy, and the list goes on, you have to be able to memorize every little piece of material given to you. Being able to know small random facts about everything in life has given me an edge on everyone I have come across.

And that's what I need to show in this meeting today.

     It's been over a week since I last saw Noah. After tipping the brink of my mental insanity, he got me to settle down and explained he would set up a meeting with his manager so she could go over what further action we should take in this matter. I hope to god she has something good because the media has not stopped for one second.

     I thankfully got someone to cover my shifts this week so I haven't been in at work. I could never risk any reporters finding me at the hospital and distracting the workers there that should be focusing on the patients. No chance that I'd let them possibly cause us to lose a life because they needed an update on Noah's and I relationship, which I couldn't be more confused about.

     I open up my phone and check Noah's text once more, making sure I'm in the right building for the twelfth time.

Noah: Scheduled a met up w/ Em @3:30 on Mon. Building 5, go 2 the 10th floor & just talk 2 the chick at the desk.

     Honestly I had to reread it the first five times just to decrypt all of his shortened wording. I actually arrived at the building at 3:15 but ran straight to the lobby bathroom as soon as I stepped foot into the doors. I just needed to give myself time to freak out prior to a professional business meeting.

     That freak out consisted of a plethora of questions my inner voice asked me. 'Why on earth would you agree to a Monday meeting? You hate Mondays.' Correct, but I'll just stop and get myself a donut on the way home to make up for it. 'What happens if this is a total prank and Noah is just using you?' Yet another good reason for the donut. 'Why did you have to kiss him in the first place?' Have you seen the man?  'You do realize if you spill anything on your shirt you most definitely will be showing your hot pink bra underneath right?' Maybe my boobs will distract them from vomit I will most likely release all over myself.

     My brain argues with itself before I finally turn the sink on and rinse my wrists with cold water. I dry off my hands and give myself a final check in the mirror. Despite whatever nerves I feel, I am pleasantly happy with my appearance.