If Only the World Could See You Now

Valen wouldn't leave her room the next day. She locked the door and put blankets over the mirrors. She wouldn't let herself sleep. She would turn on the tv at high volumes or ask Friday to play music at its max. She would jump in the shower on all the way cold. Anything to keep her from having nightmares.

She repeated this daily. People would try to come in, but she kept them all out. She wouldn't talk to any of them when they tried to communicate with her through the door or by Friday.

Peter tried the hardest. He checked in every day after school. He even started to sleep outside her door to be ready for anything she needed. He was not going to give up on her.

Valen on the other hand had had enough. She was so mentally and physically exhausted. Her mind wouldn't turn off and being sleep-deprived only made it worse. But she was terrified to fall asleep again. She didn't want to see her other self or Zory. She didn't want to go on a rampage and accidentally hurt anyone.

She quietly opened her door and stepped over the sleeping boy. She tiptoed all the way to the staircase where she went up to the rooftop. She stood at the edge letting the spring air play with her hair. She closed her eyes, breathing in the flowers that were fully bloomed. She looked up at the night sky to look at all the beautiful stars. She almost accidentally fell off when someone spoke behind her.

"There are easier ways to kill yourself." Steve said as he sat on the patio furniture.

"Yeah like yelling at a girl who could freeze you to death." Valen stepped back away from the edge and crossed her arms.

"Already did that. Didn't die." Steve leaned forward putting his elbows on his knees. He grabbed a notebook that was laying on the coffee table in front of him. "What's this?"

Valen recognized it right away. She scuffed knowing exactly where this was going to go. "That's my memory journal. You know there's this thing called privacy. If you don't know what that is, it means stay out of my stuff."

"It's information about all of us." He flipped the book open to a random page. "'Bruce Banner. Doctor. Scientist. Aka the Hulk, but prefers to not turn into him." He flipped to another page. "Sam Wilson. Ex-military. Aka the Falcon. Flies by wings. Dented one of his suits with someone named Loki.'"

Valen rolled her eyes as she waited for him to get to his point.

"There's a lot more in here. Some more detailed than others."

Valen snorted. "Clearly haven't read your part yet."

Steve flipped through the pages until he saw his name. "'Lied about Hydra. Somehow is dating Nat. Asshole.'"

That was all she put for his. Everyone else had at least three pages dedicated to them. She didn't care to remember Steve so she only put three lines of information about him in her book.

Steve slammed the notebook on the table and put his finger on it. "You're reporting back to Hydra. That's what this thing is for."

Valen genuinely felt hurt by his accusation. She darted for the door and took the stairs to head back to her room. She wasn't going to listen to him anymore.

"Oh no you don't." Steve grabbed the notebook and quickly matched her pace. He was right behind her as she reached for her door, but he grabbed her wrist to pull her away from it.

Valen got face to face with him. She gritted her teeth as she spoke. "Let go of me."

Peter stirred from his sleep as he heard the commotion. He rubbed his eyes to see Steve holding Valen's wrist tightly. Valen looked like she was going to kill him any second now.