Its a hostage situation

Hum, hu hum... " A series of joyful hums echoed in a cave.

Or, at least the hums were joyful if one took in the emotion they were hummed from, and ignored the horrible, growly coughs that the hums sounded like.

Elder Lich created by the Supreme One and the leader of the Fourty-One, Momonga, hummed joyfully though a throat that had once belonged to Riser Phenix, but now belonged to the Elder Lich alongside the rest of the Phenix son's body.

Riser's body, even if it had been human-like in the past, was little more than a dessicated husk now. The Elder Lich had long since remodeled the body to better suit his powers and in the process removed much of what had been precious to the Phenix boy but had been useless for the Lich- or rather, had been useful for the Lich as reagents in his research for becoming a Undead Phoenix.

'Indeed, it all makes sense. As expected from the Supreme One...' The lich felt genuine joy as he worked, stretching his canvas across a desk and dipping his feather-pen into a pot of ink. 'Hahaha... indeed, from the very creation my humble self to this moment, and for all time afterwards... I can only hope that I can dance the motions he requires of me...'

The Lich glanced to the side towards his new 'research assistant'. 'Indeed, indeed... when I was found by that 'Kokabiel', I thought I had failed the Supreme Being twice...'

The Elder Lich had escaped the Phenix manor of Rating Grounds in the aftermath of combat with the red-headed Devil male he had later learned to be 'Sirzechs Lucifer', and had established a small base of sorts under a rocky outcrop in a swamp with the help of a cadre of undead he created through the Elder Lich's racial ability. Initially the tunnel created by the undead had been filled with water thanks to swamp draining to it, but he had reinforced its structure until it was only damp, turning it to a cavern that would allow non-undead and non-permanently regenerating beings to stay alive within.

Indeed, the Elder Lich had no problems living under water, and Lord Phenix, whom he was using as his test subject in his research to turn himself into a Phoenix, had little problems with living under water as well. Although the 'living' was a bit subjective as the man's regeneration had been pushed quite hard by having it regenerate oxygen into his brain after breathing in water for nearly half a day before the cavern had been water-proofed and drained. In other words, the man had been drowning in foul swamp-water for almost half a day.

The Elder Lich had thought of the grand base the Supreme Beings had made in the poisonous and swampy marshes of Helheim when he had been building his own base, although he felt ashamed that he had, for a moment, thought of the meager cavern he had created within the same thought as the legendary fortress of the Beings.

However, even if he had done his best to camouflage his new base and ward it against outside observation, he had known that his hiding spot would likely be compromised if he attacked people nearby upon receiving his Master's orders so he began attacking groups of secluded and weak people far away from his new base- Using combination of teleportation, sudden fireballs and summoning undead amidst the scattered survivors to his advantage.

Yet, the first setback had come after his first strike against the Devils, which had resulted in a decimating loss for the Elder Lich both by losing his strike team and then losing in personal combat against the person he had tried to ambush.