Part 5.12

"The bar isn't what killed him," I tell Addy and Maya. "It knocked him over, but the strike wasn't enough to kill him, according to Dr Carron."

Maya blinks, her face expressionless. She takes a sip of her green tea. "Then it's the same situation. No injuries, no medical cause...just death."

Addy wrings her wrists for the hundredth time. "I'm so scared for Ruby. I can't believe how close this was to her. In the same ward and everything! Oh, I wish they'd let her out now..."

"You know Ruby," I sigh. "Now that there's been a murder at the hospital, she wants to stay there."

The victim was one of the night staff, a nurse in his twenties. It was the poor guy's first year at the hospital.

There's been a victim a night now. There must be something linking them, but what? They were all male, but that's about the only similarity I can find. Except, of course, that they were all in the same area of the city at night. Our killer had a narrow hunting ground, at least.

The Zilitron Guard was amping up its patrols in the area. Me and Addy decided to keep our nightly patrol limited to that same area, but this time we suggested Maya patrol the rest of the city in her own cart. It was a relatively harmless exercise (the killer isn't likely to expand his range), and it's a convenient excuse to keep Maya out of sight on any witch powers I might have to use.

I'm going to probe the area for energy signatures while we patrol it. It'll help to not have Maya questioning why I keep closing my eyes and breathing deeply. If there's anyone moving around by themselves I'll be able to locate them.

Whatever it is that's on a killing spree, it's going to be found tomorrow night.

And it's going to have a witch to answer to.