CHAPTER FORTY THREE

"Ouranos, we need to talk." I said, crossing my arms. Kronos stood by me, watching the scene unfold.

My father-in-law, who seemed to be in a rush looked at me with a blank expression. "About? Look, Rhea. I'm in a hurry. Can this please wait?"

"What's the rush? It's just a few minutes. I have a few questions to ask."

"Then it can wait. I really need to get going. How about tomorrow morning?" He said, seeming more urgent with his words.

I shook my head, insisting. "It's about Fortrista."

Now that... got his attention.

"What... about her?" He asked, frowning.

Kronos stepped in, seeming impatient with his father. "Dad... before Rhea fell into a coma, she said something to us. It was before the attack. It was when Nick, Laura, and Macy passed away."

"... I'm listening."

My mate continued, not breaking eye contact. "She said you didn't just reject her. Fortrista also kept saying that she was taking back what originally belonged to her. Do you have any idea what this means to you?"

Ouranos stiffened, his eyes shifting to black. He grew quiet before saying, "No, I don't. If you'll excuse me, I must be going."

And just like that, he was gone.

Kronos and I looked at each other and nodded. With just our body language, we understood each other.

We were going to follow his dad.

***

"There you are... 'Ranos. I was beginning to think you would never show." Fortrista said, staring at her dangerously sharp nails.

"You haven't called me that nickname since we were in highschool." Ouranos said, his sadden expression throwing her off.

In fact, making her angry.

"Oh shut up. How dare you look at me like that. You don't deserve to make that face. Do you pity me?" She hissed.

He shook his head, "I don't. I just... I regret everything. It's my fault you're like this."

"Like this? I was always like this. You're the one who left me for that bitch of a Gaia! She's a cheater, don't you know? I've heard she's been sleeping with other unmated males in the pack. Or widowed ones. Don't you feel stupid? If you had stayed with me, you wouldn't need to fear being cheated on." She said, sneering at him.

"...This isn't about Gaia. You know why I arranged this private meeting."

Fortrista scoffed. "To stop me from attacking your precious son and his mate? Information on why I attacked?"

"Exactly. Stop this madness. I'll even give you me. Just leave the pack alone." He pleaded.

She only cackled. "Seriously? You really think I'll stop? You think I want you? I'm getting even. You took what was supposed to mine. And now I'll kill what is currently precious to you."

"I don't understand. We dated in high school. This is long in the past. You're being petty. It's stupid to begin a war over a heartbreak. Think about the lives that will be lost." Ouranos said, shaking his head.

This caused Fortrista to shake in anger.
"You think this is about you rejecting me? You killed my baby!" She screeched, flashing her fangs at him.

I gasped... surprised by the information. Kronos stilled beside me, his brows furrowing as he started to shake slightly.