♛ 48

"Diablo, you're late." His boss stated.

Taeyong looked down, hands clutching his machine gun as he brought it up to his shoulder. "Oh, I am?"

"It will start anytime soon, you better get ready. Your brother is already out there, along with the descendant of The Phantom Viper." 

Taeyong knew it will come down to this eventually. Perhaps it was because he served for Neo Mortem Mafia, they were unmistakably ahead in terms of underground movements. Though participating in a war would be the last thing he wanted.

"Which brother specifically, boss?"

"Both of them," a voice said from behind. Taeyong turned his heels, now facing red haired boy with a frown. "Mark-hyung's already here as well."

"And why are you here?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"I called him." His boss answered, earning a puzzled look from the underboss. He was well aware that Heeseung held an honorable position in this organization as the executive, but just the thought of his youngest brother participating in the war was enough to aggravate him.

The two then exited their base in the 23rd ward. As the two walked out, an awkward silence grew between them. They were brothers and they both have respect for each other's specialties, but they weren't as close as before. 

"I know about your deal with Dasom," Heeseung provoked. "That's why you took her sister, right?"

Taeyong shrugged. Heeseung wasn't completely wrong, but he had missed the main point.

"No," he stated simply. He opened the door, the brisk air hitting their skin. They were now standing in the terrace of the tall building, having full view of the 23rd ward. "I did take her sister as an assurance from boss's order, but she didn't mind that. At least until I told her the reason."

"She didn't?"

"Of course not. Her sister would be safer under my watch, don't you think? It's true boss originally wanted to keep her hostage so that he could get Dasom to work with us, same with Xiaojun. But as long as her sister's under my surveillance, nothing will happen to her." Taeyong explained, taking out his match to lit up his cigarette. 

This was the first time in years Heeseung finally had a proper conversation with his brother. He knew that he wasn't all bad, but he never knew the reason why he abandoned them—why he left them.

"That time, why did you leave?" 

Taeyong blew out the smoke, turning to look at his brother with an unreadable look. Though it was clear that his eyes were full of melancholy, undecided. "You know Mark isn't all wrong about me. I ran away after killing his best friend and I failed to accept the truth,"

Inhaling the cold air mixed with the smoke from the cigarette, he then looked at the buildings beneath them. It was covered by mist and he could hardly see, but it was better than staring at his brother's eyes.

"I had to make it up to him somehow. So, I left and joined the mafia. Providentially, it was enough to keep him alive. But now, it's up to her to keep him alive."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The Second Great Fiasco—a war.

It wasn't like any other war, it was a war between assassins and hitmen. Meaning, it wasn't a plain sight attack. It was rather a battle of skills, just like the games in Neo High. The only difference was that now, it wasn't just the students—but the entire organisation members.

Mark had already fought approximately around fifteen to eighteen mafiosos, still trying to reach his target. He knew that Dasom was going to arrive here anytime soon, or perhaps she had already arrived.

But he needed to focus on his goal, that was his priority.

Xiaojun was nowhere to be found. But if he would make an assumption, he must've been hiding alongside the mafia. He knew that the mafia wanted to kill him as well, but not now. Sometime in the future perhaps. As of now, they wanted to take him as a pawn.

On the other side, Dasom and Jeno were busy slaughtering lives. They have decided to partner up into teams so that they can split up and find Mark faster. 

"Dasom," Jeno called, throwing his knife towards one of the mafioso's neck. "Where do we go after this?"

Dasom focused on the men before her, using her gun to blow off their heads. "Not sure,"

They both panted as they looked around, trying to observe the place while steadying their breaths. She was sure that she just saw a figure passed by the roof of these abandoned houses. The fog was thick, making it harder for them to detect movements. 

"Jeno, when I say down, you duck and run as far as you can okay?" She said, scooting closer to him.

The taller boy nodded, understanding her order. Dasom stood still, ears focusing on the footsteps and faint sound of metal hitting the brick. She took a rounded item from inside her pocket, pulling out the plug. 

The ticking sound began to fill her ears as she closed her eyes, taking a deep breath.

"Down!"

Jeno did as he was told, gliding on the dirty ground as she threw the explosive, forcefully throwing her body to the ground. She coughed as the dust entered her respiratory system, ears ringing from the loud explosive sound.

She stood up, legs shaking as she took the gun out from her holsters. Before another man could shoot her right on her head, a figure from behind her had already shot him. She was lucky the man missed, though he did managed to hit her shoulder.

Dasom turned around, expecting to see Jeno. But it was not him—it was someone who she always thought would never spare her life.

The man got down from the roof, now standing right in front of her. She had forgotten that the entire Phantom Viper was summoned the moment this war started. Meaning, other assassins and hitmen working for the Phantom Viper would be here.

Her mouth opened agape, breath hitching. "Father..."

"You better get that wrapped up," he spoke, glancing at her shoulder. His voice sounded just as usual, he was not very pleased to see her here. 

He then threw her his gun, noticing that her's had run out of bullets. 

"You must be here because you work together with Eric's son so focus on that. Leave the boss to us." He asserted sternly.

Dasom let out the breath she held in for too long. She wanted to run but it felt like her legs were glued to the ground. The moment she saw her father standing before her was the moment she knew the Great Fiasco was real. "You're gonna kill the boss, are you?"

"Just get back to work. You've done this before, haven't you?" 

With that, he left her standing there in the middle of the ravaged street. She could not find Jeno anywhere, probably because she had told him to run away as far as he could. The bomb had successfully destroyed most of the buildings, it was a miracle she managed to get out of it alive.

But her father was right, she needed to get back to work.

hello everyone omg a few more chapters to go;(