𝟬𝟬𝟮. out of time

gone girl.
━━━ chapter two

It was a boy. His hair was singed at the edges, his clothes were torn up and he had some scars on his arms, that didn't seem to be new. He seemed to be around her age, strangely enough. And... apparently he was a son of Poseidon, which did made sense considering that, if he wasn't, he should have been dead from the fall.

After feeding him some nectar, they had carried him inside their hut and put him in Amaryllis' bed. He was still unconscious, though he had previously woken up for five seconds before closing his eyes once again. Whatever he was going through, it was obviously rough for him.

Amaryllis was laying in the hammock, as she felt the summer sun hitting her skin and warming her body. It was too early for her to be awake, but she hadn't managed to get any sleep since everything that happened. Though she had grown used to the occasional visits, this one was different and she could feel it.

That boy shouldn't exist. The eldest gods, the Big Three as they called them, had taken an oath to never have children with mortals, as they would be too powerful. Thus there were no demigod children of Zeus, Poseidon and Hades in Camp Half Blood. Amaryllis wasn't surprised that the gods hadn't obeyed their own rules, actually it was very much in character for them. Still, it was shocking to see a son of Poseidon up close, even more shocking to see him in a state like this.

Kind of unimpressive, if she was being honest.

Calypso had spent much time taking care of him. She had healing powers after all and her singing worked as a healing spell of some sort, so she was determined to nurse the demigod back to health. Amaryllis couldn't really help the boy and besides, she cared more about Calypso than the boy. She had to occasionally remind her to eat something or drink water, as she was too focused on him to remember how to take care of herself. That was how Calypso was - she put others above herself and then expected them to do the same.

Amaryllis heard feet dragging through the sand and turned her head to the direction of her friend coming her way.

"Is everything okay?" Amaryllis asked, giving Calypso the peach that she was about to eat. "Here, eat something."

"Thanks." She sat next to her and took a bite of the fruit. Though she was basically a goddess and her physical appearance was never less than perfect, spending so much time with her had given Amaryllis the ability to see the little things. Her eyes were misty and it seemed like she hadn't gotten any sleep. "I'm a little tired. I've been using my powers all day."

"How's it going with him?"

"His name is Percy," Calypso said, causing Amaryllis to raise her eyebrow at her. "He talks in his sleep," she explained but quickly changed the subject. "Anyway, I think he's slowly getting better. He's going to wake up any time now."

From her voice, Amaryllis could tell that she was really looking forward to actually talking to him. It made her sad - she recognized the pattern, the behaviour Calypso was exhibiting every time a man came to the island. The Fates were cruel and part of her punishment was that she'd fall in love with those who ended up on her island, but they'd never feel the same and love her enough to stay with her. It would always start like this but when the men finally left the island, they'd take a part of Calypso with them as well.

Amaryllis didn't want the same happening now, but she couldn't really do anything to stop it. In the end of the day, it was their fate. Percy would leave and Calypso and Amaryllis would stay.

"That's great," she lied.

"You didn't sleep at all last night," Calypso stated, though it sounded like a question at the same time. "Why?"