~Rebuild and Recover~

Third Person Pov:

After Mirabel was returned to the family by Abuela, they found Bruno alive and well. He managed to escape the house, unlike what Rieka had believed. He too returned to the family, welcomed with open arms by the members after he had been gone for 10 years.

Too caught up in his and Mirabel's return, Rieka slipped Abuela's mind.

As the family talked with Bruno, Mirabel wandered off, searching for Rieka as she was not with everyone else. There she found her, resting against the tree trunk and unconscious.

Pepa, Julieta, Felíx, and Agustín came to their aid. Pepa was the first to reach them, screaming in horror as she saw her other daughter limp in her niece's arms.

"My baby!" She cries, snatching her away and hiding her in her chest.

Agustín got down to her level, he took Rieka's arm, pressing his thumb against her wrist to feel for a pulse.

"She's still alive!" He cries out as he lifted her up," Julieta get the doctor hurry!"

She was taken straight to the hospital, where the doctor revealed that she had 2 fractured ribs and a broken femur.

She was stable, and was expected to recover, but it wasn't clear as to why she wouldn't wake up. There were no signs of head trauma, however they believed it to be the brain defending itself.

In rare occasions, when experiencing too much fear, grief, or stress the brain will simply shut down.

While this was happening, the news hadn't yet reached the other members of the family, as they were busy rebuilding the house.

Mirabel took the task of telling everyone, racing out the hospital all the way back to the ruins of the casita.

She found Dolores first

"Dolores!" She cried out, dashing over to her cousin.

"Mirabel!" She cries out," where's the rest of the family? Did you find Rieka?"

"She found Rieka?" Camilo bursts into the scene holding Antonio's hand,"Is she okay!?!"

"Where was she?" Antonio asks curiously,
"Did she lose any of her gifts like us?"

"Mirabel there you are!" She then heard Abuela dashing towards her frantically," Rieka's in the forest! I went to the spot I left her in but she's not there! She's hurt bad we need to find her!"

Before she knew it, the rest of the family crowded around her asking questions.

"Okay stop!" She yells,"I found Rieka in the forest! The rest of the family is with her at the hospital, they don't know what's wrong, but she won't wake up! Where's Tío Bruno!?!"

"W-we don't know..." Luisa stutters, "he walked off, he said he needed to find something?"

"Abuela take everyone to the hospital" Mirabel tells her grandmother," I'll go look for Bruno".

They split up, going to their destined locations.

"Tío bruno!" Mirabel called out,"Tío Bruno!"

Eventually, she managed to spot his green poncho a couple trees across from her.

"Tío Bruno!" She calls out again, running towards her uncle.

He was too distracted, too immersed in something else to even respond to her calls. Under his breath, she could hear his frantic whispers.

"S-she's not here~"

"Keep looking, keep looking~"

"Is that her? No it's someone else~"

"Dios mio where is she~?"

"Tío Bruno...?" She questions, feeling a small prick of fear trickle down her back. She never seen anyone so close to breaking into insanity, it was starting to scare the poor girl.

She reached a brave hand forward, placing it upon his shoulder. He immediately gasps, sharply turning to see his niece.

"Mirabel!" He says, grasping her shoulders tightly," I need your help! I-I can't find her anywhere! I-I don't know w-w-what to do! She's-"

"Tío Bruno please just breathe" Mirabel soothes him," deep breaths, okay now tell me who your looking for".

"Rieka" he says," I haven't seen her in so long, what if she's lost? Or hurt? We need to find her-"

"Listen" she says calmly," don't freak out okay? I already told the rest of the family and they are already at the hospital-"

"Hospital...?"

His lip quivers, eyes wide in a state of inconsolable shock.

Before Mirabel could finish, Bruno broke into a sprint down the hill towards the village.

"W-wait tío Bruno!" She called to him, trailing behind him. She actually had to take breaks, heaving air into her exhausted lungs while her uncle continued forth with the speed of a rabbit.

Bruno bursts into the hospital, seeing his family all together in the waiting room.

"Where is she?" He asks, desperately trying his best to not show tears.

"In there" Isabella answers, pointing to the door across from her,"we're waiting for the doctor to let us-"

He didn't care, he marched over to the door and entered the room despite the verbal refrains from his family.

The room was still, oh so painfully stagnant, but unlike the average person, Bruno spent the last 10 years getting used to such a feeling.

There he saw the girl residing in the bed, wires and machines around her. Her already pale skin was now white, two thick purple bags under her resting eyes. She looked like a ghost, and it frightened him immensely.

"Rieka..." he sighs, finally letting his tears fall freely. He sits on the edge of the bed, clutching her frail arm with both hands.

"Mí perrita, mí corazon, amor de mí vida~"

He rests his forehead against her palm

"I can't live with myself if you never wake up" he tells her," you're the only reason I continued to stay, you torment my mind throughout the nights, everywhere I look I see your face. All noise fades and my ears are filled with your hypnotic symphony. I want you all to myself, if I can't have that, my life is condemned to misery".

He was desperate, wanting to do anything to see her smile again.

"I worship you~" he kisses her wrist,"your entire being tempts my selfish urges more than god himself knows".