FORTY-FOUR

FORTY-FOUR
Callie

"So basically, I had a load of people after me. You know I did some bad things and I saw this as an opportunity to fake my death." Mason speaks out and I watch as Miller's eye twitches. "Probably not my finest moment but hey, we're all here. The gang back together again." He nudges Phoenix's shoulder, however, Phoenix doesn't budge.

"We fucking grieved for you, you piece of shit! Our girl did all of this for you! She risked stepping up on a ladder to decorate for you, you piece of fucking shit!" Phoenix grabs Mason by the collar and shoves him into the wall. Mason releases a nervous chuckle but his eyes are screaming for help.

"I apologise, Callie, for the inconvenience. It was very kind of you." Mason smiles and I can't help but return the gesture, just glad that the idiot is alive.

"Nix, let him go," I tell the angry man and it takes him a second before he shoves Mason one last time. He makes his way back over to me and steps behind my body, wrapping his strong arms around my waist — his hands resting protectively on my stomach.

"Why did you have people after you?" Everest furrows his eyebrows, his arms crossed over his chest as he leans against the desk. Mason has the audacity to smile brightly.

"So basically, —" here we fucking go. ",there was this shipment of drugs. Cocaine specifically, a hell of a drug might I add — anyway these pricks weren't going to pay me, I had a feeling. So when it came to the shipment I swapped the cocaine for icing powder. Turns out they were going to pay. Then they wanted me dead." Am I shocked? No.

"So they think you're dead now?" Mason nods his head with a proud smile on his face.

Miller steps towards his brother, looking at him for a few seconds before pulling him into a tight hug.

"Aww." I coo but roll my eyes when Phoenix scoffs behind me.

"You're lucky I don't kill you, Mason." Nix threatens and I turn my head to throw him a glare.

That was five months ago.

Now I'm nearly six months pregnant. Six months pregnant with a little boy. It's official, I am outnumbered.

I sink my toes into the warm sand and close my eyes as I feel the gentle warm wind brush against my glowing brown skin. We moved to Corfu two months ago and it's the best decision we ever made. The peacefulness, the waking up to beautiful sunrises, and the sex. Loads of it.

However, there's one person who has become an overprotective crazy man and as of right now, I know he's looking around for me. He never lets me out of his sight for more than five minutes — I've been out on the beach for twenty. I needed time to myself, away from Phoenix and his overpowering need to protect me from everything, even the local stray dog that always comes to our home for food and water.

"Callie!" I sigh.

There goes the peace. I look over my shoulder to see an angry Phoenix making his way towards me on the beach. I look back at the calm waves and place my hand over my bare stomach. I went for a swim but that's something I won't tell Nix because he'll scold me for being careless and tell me that I could have drowned or been eaten by a shark.

"I should fucking murder you." I roll my eyes at his empty threat. The man would murder himself before he ever laid a hand on me. "What were you thinking?"

"I was thinking how I wanted to come out here for a swim and some peace. But unfortunately, you've come along and ruined all of that." I retort, turning around fully to face the giant. "Nix, please. You're giving yourself unnecessary stress, I'm okay. Our baby is okay." I grab his hand and place his palm flat on my pregnant belly.