Chapter 26 - Dream Destination

Ava

A few days later, it was late morning when I suddenly got a call from my dad. It was unusual for Dad to call at this time.

"Hey, what's up, Dad?" I asked once I picked up the call.

"Hey, honey. Nothing much, actually. Just wanted to let you know something. Thought you might be interested," Dad said.

"Really? What could that be?" I inquired, intrigued.

"Well, it's just Natalie's in your city for some reason, and she's staying until tomorrow, so she was wondering if you would be free around the evening today," Dad informed me, and I almost squealed.

Finally, I was going to get to meet my dad's girlfriend.

However, I regained my composure and told him, "Yes, I'm free at that time." I needed to test the woman who was taking care of my dad while I was gone, and if I was going to go meet her, so was my dear husband. "But do you mind if I bring Ace with me?"

Dad chuckled. "Of course not, sweetie. In fact, I was going to ask you to bring him but was afraid of you."

"Dad, I'm your daughter. I'm supposed to be scared of you, not the other way around." I pouted.

He chuckled some more and said, "True, but you have gotta admit, you're pretty scary like your mom."

I suppressed my giggles and asked in a much more serious tone, "Dad, you really like that woman, don't you? You're not just dating her because I asked you to, right?"

"Of course, honey."

"Do you, uh, think you will love her as much as Mom?" I asked hesitantly.

He let out a deep sigh. "Here's the truth, honey. I don't think I will ever love anyone as much as your mom, but you want me to be happy, and I'm sure Eleanor would want that as well. Plus, it is getting a bit lonely around here without you. But don't worry, I do like her, truly. I have hidden nothing from Natalie, and she's okay with all of it. So I've been happy with her."

I smiled. "That's all I have ever wanted for you, Dad. I love you."

"I love you too, sweetie."

###

"Why am I here again?" Ace deadpanned.

"Because you are my husband, and you vowed to go through everything I did," I answered, my eyes locked on the entrance of the cafe I was meeting up with Natalie.

"This isn't a martial trial, Ava. It's just meeting with your dad's girlfriend. You don't really need me here. I could be at the office working right now—"

I finally turned to glare at him and said, "Did you or did you not, again and again, say you were never busy for me?"

"Yes, that's true. But this is different—" He tried to argue, but I heard the bell chime of the cafe ring, so I immediately turned my attention back to the entrance and saw a beautiful brunette woman in her late-thirties walk in. She was dressed in a navy blue knee-length dress.

It didn't take me longer than a few seconds to recognize her and quickly shifted to the mode I intended to test her with. The woman made her way over to our table when she took notice of us.

"Hi. Are you guys Ava and Ace?" she asked, and I looked up to nod. "It's great to meet you guys. And aww, you guys really do look as cute together as you look in the photos."

"You have seen our photos on social media?" I asked in a cold tone without bothering to greet her.

"No, Robert showed me. He absolutely adores you two to death," she said with a smile.