Bloodlust and Butterflies (T)

Bloodlust and Butterflies written by degeneraete

i. COVER & TITLE

Your cover is, in complete and utter seriousness, the most stunning one I have ever come across. The logistics of it are perfectly balanced with the creative aspects—the fonts are unique and beautiful but still legible. The colours are bold and contrast to the darkness of both the title and the book plot. It's mysterious and alluring, captivating and striking. I would pick this book off a shelf without looking at the blurb. I would read it based on the cover alone. I would sell my soul for this book cover. I would pay good money to look the person who made this cover in the eye and thank them for allowing me to live on the same planet as them.

I have similar thoughts about your title. Why? Because it's perfect. There isn't a more perfect title on the face of the earth. Bloodlust is a violent, scary word, and butterflies is an elegant, beautiful word, which gives your title both an intriguing juxtaposition as well as an idea of what this story will contain. Honestly, you don't really need to be a good writer. You could build your success on your cover and title alone. But let's see what we can do.

ii. BLURB

Your blurb gets a solid 4/5 for being simple and straightforward. But it gets one point off on my system for being simple and straightforward. Let me explain that.

Your blurb has everything we need: a clear character, motivation, and generalized conflict. It's written in a way that is both easy to read and follow. It's everything a bookstore blurb needs to be. However, I'm not in the habit of recommending what everyone else does. I think blurbs need to have a spark in them—show us something unique. Creativity is derived from originality, and your blurb sounds like it was written entirely academically. Again, in my personal opinion, I don't like that—but a lot of people would. So it's entirely your choice to agree with me here. Below, I'm going to rewrite your blurb. I'm going to do it in my tone and my style, and that is going to be obvious. I just want you to read what I've written and understand why it comes off radically different from the original:

She's trapped.

It's not the metaphorical kind of trapped. Eko is the literal, stuck-in-the-hybrid-form-of-a-human-and-a-butterfly, kind of trapped. Confined to the imperial garden of the Zemor Empire, Eko believes freedom is nothing more than a dream. The only real source of faith in her life is the single friendship she shares with the crowned prince, but that, too, is beginning to dwindle.

She meets Ardor at the perfect time; he has the touch of realism she's desperate for. His company, his blunt honesty, the captivating idea of his nightly appearances—those are the things that drive Eko to flee from the life she knows.

But as it turns out, Eko's number of secrets pale in comparison to Ardor's. The truth is beginning to surface, and it shows that Ardor is not the alluring man Eko thought he was.