Chapter 16: I'll be there. Always

It was dark. Nothing in sight. All that could be heard was an echo of a growl from a large beast. Reggie was in the middle of a dark room, nude, curled up in a ball, using his wings to try and cover his body. A deep, phantom-like voice spoke "You'll never be good enough. You are not worthy." The demon boy began to quietly cry. "You're a monster. A nightmare. A horror." "She doesn't think I'm a monster." Reggie whimpered. The voice took the form of a large, slender figure. It was the colour of tar and had an aura that would make the loudest of souls choke on their words. Every move it made let out a sound of cracking bones and goo. "She's a human and you are a monster. When she finds out what you used to be. She'll see you just like the others do. As a freak." The beast picked Reggie up by his neck and held him in front of its face. "You can never escape. I'll always remind you of that name, that form, that time." The beast snarled. Reggie cried and screamed, trying to escape the beast's grasp. "Stop it, stop it, stop it! You're wrong! Stop it!" he cried louder as he scratched at his face. The beast growled and said "I'll always be here. Lurking in the Pandora's box of your mind. "

"Hiiiisss! Hiss!" Reggie's eyes opened and his body sat up. He had a stream of tears down his face, his breathing was irregular and short, and his hands were shaking. "Hiss," Earl said as he slithered around the demon to comfort him. Reggie looked at Earl and slowly calmed down. "Hiss." "Yeah, I'm okay. It was just a bad dream." Earl looked at him concerned, he rubbed his head against Reggie's cheek. "Thank you." "Hiss. Hiss?" "I'm alright Earl. I can still check and pack the orders." Earl gave an unsure nod. Reggie weakly smiled to reassure the horned snake that he was ok. "I'm ok Earl. How about you and I after our orders are packed, we both go to the human realm?" Earl pondered on this for a bit before agreeing to go. "It's settled then. Now let's get to work." "Hiss."