77

" So... what should I do with you ?"

Aniruddh was in the aangan with Bihari and Somnath infront of the widows.

" Zamindar Babu, we were just doing what has been happening all over the country. "

" That makes it right ?"

" We didn't mean her any harm."

" No. You were just about to shave her head."

" We...we were trying to help."

" HOW ?!!"

The elder widow threw a glance at Somnath and he remembered what they had said about his Boudi living with two young man. Somnath got red with anger again. He had a the hot temper of a Roy Chowdhury but not the cool patience of his Dada.

" You need to speak your words very carefully here." Som warned her.

" No Som, no. Let them say. Let them give good reason that humiliating a girl, a child, was alright when she was in such a grief after loosing her husband she had loved dearly." His exterior and voice was furious but his insides lurched at the thought of what was about to happen to her, the girl who loved him...
So dearly...

" Because it is not ok to be in house with young men without a husband, looking beautiful."

" What ?" Aniruddh's brows furrowed. " What did you just say ?" Everyone knew he heard what was said and was just giving them a chance to prove what he understood by it was wrong.

" I said that" she was growing nervous with every word. " it would have been unsafe for her here..."

" Here ?" Aniruddh took a step towards her and her head dipped in fear. " She would be not safe...here...?"

" Dada don't talk to them. It's not worth it." He didn't want his Dada to hear what she was going to say.

" No Som. Elaborate." He folded his hands and waited.

" There are two young men here." Aniruddh could feel his blood boil. " Husband being gone, anything wrong...can happen..."

Aniruddh turned back to look at Somnath who bowed his head at the shameful words. He turned back to the window. " Trying to ruin my wife's life was not good enough for you ? You are pointing fingers at her character now ?" He clutched his fists behind his back, nails digging in his palm. " And you have now the audacity to insult my BROTHERS...!" The women flinched as Somnath still stood tense. He knew his Dada would never doubt him or Batuk but such words were making it hard for him to face his Dada.

" Sarkar ! We are just saying what happens...in the world."

Somnath lurched forward in anger but Aniruddh pulled him back. Som was not looking him in the eye and it was not even his fault to be ashamed like this but Aniruddh understood why his brother was feeling so. " Dada..."

" It's ok Som." Aniruddh patted his younger brother's cheek. " It is alright. You can't loose control like this. You are my strength, ok...?" Som looked up at his Dada with a little relief and a moist set of eyes. " You have to help me." His Dada kept a hand on his shoulder.

" In what Dada ?"

" In sending them away." Aniruddh said loud and clear for all those women to hear. " Will that be ok ?" He turned to the group.

" Don't worry about us Zamindar Babu." The woman said nervously. " We will go by ourselves. Just...give us permission."

" You didn't take permission before coming here." Aniruddh clipped back and saw them getting restless. " You just barged in thinking it was your right. Well you came on your own, you won't go on your own. "