55: It Doesn't Matter, I've Survived All These years Without Her

Meng Yao looked at Xiao Si and saw that Xiao Si was also studying him. Jia Yi, arriving with the tea and snacks, felt a little weird as he looked at Meng Yao and Xiao Si. It appeared to him that there was a sharp resemblance between the two - especially their eyes.

"Your Imperial Highness, Master Jun would like to sell a product of mine called 'soap' but I refused to work with him unless I could meet you,” Meng Yao began in a businesslike voice. Xiao Si looked at him and thought about this statement.

"So Jun Gui cannot achieve his goals without my aid?" Xiao Si asked, but it was more like a statement.

Jia Yi placed a cup before each of them and smoothly poured the tea before putting a plate of pastries he had purchased from Mr. Ye closer to the prince. Xiao Si nodded politely and thanked Jia Yi.

Meng Yao found this behavior strange. Just a few minutes ago, he clearly showed distaste towards Meng Yao’s love but now he is being polite. Is this a business ploy? Or is the Crown Prince trying to keep up a public image?

"Yes.” He answered Xiao Si after a sip of his tea. “I want to avoid issues by distributing my soap under the authority of your Imperial Highness. Not only will your backing increase the popularity of soap but it will also keep others from creating trouble for us. Introducing a new product is big business after all and I don’t want any problems. I do have a family to protect," Meng Yao finished with a warm smile for Jia Yi standing off to the side.

Xiao Si nodded silently as he sipped his tea. Liang Huan continued to explain about the soap. He explained that it is good for getting rid of dirt, has a pleasant scent, and that it is good for the skin.

Xiao Si can see that Meng Yao’s words are true just by looking at Meng Yao. His skin is the flawless white of mutton fat jade. Then again, his Yaoyao has always looked like an angel. Xiao Si pushed down a pang of loss as he wondered what happened to Liang Huan. He knew he couldn’t just ask Meng Yao about his father since he is basically a stranger to him. This time the pang of loss was stronger and it was difficult to keep his face from showing his sorrow and depression.

"I see,” Xiao Si murmured after he pulled himself together. “Then in order to do that I must know good amount of information about you, Meng Yao. I must know about your past, your parents’ background, and so on to ensure my good name won’t be tarnished by my business partner." Xiao Si’s voice was calm and unemotional for this declaration.

"Yes, I understand." Meng Yao said with a nod. "To begin with, I'm an orphan and an only child - so there are no family members to cause issues. My father died when I was young and I was raised by my grandfather who has also died. The only family member I have now is my wife, Jia Yi. I'm from a foreign land, far away, called China."

When Meng Yao finished Xiao Si sat as still as a statue. His eyes were closed for a moment as he fought back tears and his hand trembled slightly as he set down the tea he could no longer swallow. In moments, however, he had regained his composure and hidden his pain. He was very good at hiding his pain.

"Interesting. However, since I can't randomly allow just anything to be sold under my name, I'll need to test it out. Do you have any samples?" This would allow him to keep in contact with Meng Yao without arousing any suspicions.

Meng Yao nodded and gave Jia Yi a meaningful look.

"Jiajia, could you get the samples, please?"

When Jia Yi walked out Xiao Si asked another question.

"It must have been hard on you without parents. Wait! You don't seem to have mentioned your daddy?" Xiao Si probed.

"I don't know my daddy but it doesn't really matter. I've survived all these years without a daddy so I don't see the point in fretting about it." Meng Yao answered as he calmly sipped his tea.

Xiao Si wanted to rub his chest as it hurt as though someone had stabbed him in the heart. His expression became even stiffer as he tried to engage in some polite conversation. Meng Yao was focused on the business opportunity only, so
Xiao Si said his goodbyes not long after. He headed home with a heavy and painful heart.

The moment he entered his room tears began to fall. Suddenly he threw down the bookshelf, knocked everything off of the table and began breaking everything in his path. Hearing the commotion, the servants ran to try and stop him but instead he fought against them as the tears streamed down.

Xiao Si stopped fighting the servants and crouched on the ground, covering his head with his arms as he vented his anguish with nerve-wracking cries of pain. He'd held on to hope for so long! He’d dreamed that his Huanhuan hadn’t died – that they would be reunited one day and that he would be able to hold his Yaoyao once again. Now Meng Yao’s calm voice reverberated in his memory:

"My father died when I was young…"

His waiting was it truly in vain. His love was dead.

"…it doesn't really matter. I've survived all these years without a daddy…"

His son didn't want to know or meet him. Xiao Si wished someone would just stab him in the heart right now and put him out of his misery. The cries turned into gasps and Xiao Si started to cough.

For years, he hadn't taken care of his health and now his body was sick and weak. He coughed again this time he spewed blood.

"DADDY!!!"

Xiao Si heard the frantic cry from a distance as everything went dark...

Edited by Relendria