XIII

N'laisah Dior Olsen
Monroe, Louisiana

"Hi mommy" I answer her call and put her on speaker while I drive.

"Hey baby."

"Wassup?"

"Have you been visiting your daddy?" She asks.

"I haven't got a chance recently, I been so busy." I lie.

"Mhmm, but you should be- making the most of the time I have left with him, I know." I cut her off, annoyed.

"Damn right, you gon regret not spending time with him when he's gone." She says and I smack my teeth.

"Imma visit him this week."

"Good, I love you."

"Love you more" I hang up.

That just blew my whole mood. My dad been on death row since I was 9, so 12 years.

I don't like visiting him, it hurts seeing him knowing he's just waiting in a cell to be killed.

My mom and him are still together, she visits him every day, she's a lot stronger than me.

My sister visits him weekly but I go every other month, I just hate seeing him like that.

His execution date is set for next month. It's getting closer and closer.

He was in the streets and he got caught up. He got 5 murder charges so they considered him a serial killer and dangerous to the public.

"I'll visit him tomorrow." I tell myself.

I arrive at Dee's apartments to pick her up. Surprisingly she was outside, black people usually never on time.

"Let's go to Walmart to kill some time till the club opens." I say driving off.

"Mane I been meaning tuh tell you sumn." She scratches her head.

I give her a weird look and wait for her to speak.

"Ifuckedveah" She says at the speed of lightening.

"You fucked Veah?" I make that 😳 face.

"Yup, shit was amazing too. She put me in handcuffs and she had this giant-" She starts.

"I don't wanna hear about my sister fucking my best friend. But I knew she'd turn you out."

"She didn't turn me out, I was just... experimenting." She rolled her neck.

"Be who you are🌈" I pat her shoulder and she mugs me.

"We hea." I park the car.

"Push me in the buggy." I beg grabbing one.

"No, I pushed you last time." She climbs in it and I smack my teeth.

"Wanna try stealing a TV or something?" I ask her.

"Yeah, I'll help put it in the cart." She gets out.

We put a 80 sum inch in the buggy and it was heavy ASF.

"Sooo... how we gon do this? We gone scan it as a tomato or like?" She scratches her head.

"No, you go streak to distract the guards and I'll sneak out with the tv." I say.

I grab a pack of hot Cheetos and start eating it, earning stares from the workers.

"I'm not about to run out there naked!" She looks at me crazy.

"OH MY GOD SHE'S GOT A GUN! HELP!" I scream getting everybody's attention.

Her jaw drops and she runs once security heads towards her.

While they chase her, I go to the car and try to put the tv in the trunk.

It won't fit all the way so I leave the truck open and use one of my shoe laces to attach the trunk to the bumper so it wouldn't fall out while I drive.

I get in the car and pull around to the entrance. I lean over and open the door.

Dee runs through the exit with 6 workers and security guards behind her.

Once she sees me she runs to the car and closes the door before I drive off.

"WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT!" She yells after she catches her breath.

"I needed you to distract them." I laugh.

"Ain't shit funny. I'm never going anywhere with you again, that was so embarrassing. Just GHETTO." She shakes her head.

LATER

"Look but don't touch. You use to free bitches, I cost too much. I'm married to the money, baby, you can keep the tux. Stop askin the same questions, is you fuckin' or what!?" I rap along to the music.

"Why this nigga always blowing me up when we out minding our black ass business." Dee shows me Amari calling her.

"Did he call you too?" She asks me.

"Yeah, I'm not answering that shit tho." I shrug.

"I'm ignoring it too, we grown ass women. We can club if we want to, the fuck." Dee turns off her phone.

"Heavy on the grown ass women."

"I'm gonna go dance, text me if you leave." She leaves.

I head to the bar and order Cognac. I reach in my purse to pay but someone stops me.

"I got it." A man says from behind me.

I look back and feel disappointment spread in my body. It was a low-key ugly guy the exact height as me.

He's not like ugly ugly, but not attractive yk? Something is off about his facial features I just can't put my finger on it.

"Nah, I'm good cuh." I wave him off, pulling a band out of my purse.

He scratches his head and stands there for a minute before walking away.

I roll my eyes and check my phone.

💙 Uglyfineass 🤤
59 missed calls

Sir, what do u need?

Where u at

Why you need to know

Where r u

At the club, might
just find me a nigga 🤷🏾‍♀️

I'll air that bitch tf
out, stop fucking playing
with me Dior

I gtg 😘

Andddd, block. He gone be thinking about me all night.

I drink my glass then go through the crowd to find Dee.

"Over here blind ass!" She screams.

"I'm not blind, my vision just blurry." I roll my eyes.

"Ok Ray Charles. Anyways-"

She was cut off by gunshots. We both run with the current, already used to this shit.

My heel breaks mid run so I grab Dee's shoulder to help me stay up but she tries to snatch her arm away making me fall on her.

"Dumb and dumber, I swear." Amari shakes his head walking towards us.

He helps us up and I mug him.

"What?" He asks tucking his gun away.