|19|

I toss and turn in bed. Sleep isn't coming easily tonight, and being alone isn't helping either. I run my hands through my hair and look over at Ghost. At least someone is enjoying their sleep. Nerves fill my body and my mind with Ignatius. Why is it that every time my eyes close, those golden eyes are there, taunting me? I can't even find a sweet escape in my dreams.

I jump off my bed, coming to terms with the fact that I probably won't be getting any sleep tonight. Exiting my room, I shut the door behind me. As if having a mind of its own, my hand lifts from my side and knocks on Caelum's door. Stopping, I realize what I have just done. The memory of being held in his arms floods my brain. My face heats, and I fidget with my ring.

I spin around, ready to make a run for it, when I hear the door open.

"Is everything okay?" he croaks.

"I don't want to be alone. Those gold eyes are there every time I shut my eyes." I whisper, slowing turning around. My heart rate increases when I see him. Red plaid pajama pants are the only thing he's got on. His muscular abs are on total display. To say I have a hard time concentrating is an understatement.

"Are you going to come in, or are you going to stand there and check me out the whole time?" he jokes.

"I-I was not. I don't know what you're talking about." I stammer, walking into his enormous room.

His room is so clean, definitely not what I expected. Everything seems to have a spot, unlike my room. I always say I'll clean tomorrow, but tomorrow never seems to come.

The king-sized bed is on a beautiful grayish-brown wooden frame. His walls are light gray and there's even a fireplace in here.

"You know I'm not the person to go in random guys' bedrooms every night?" I say, feeling the need to explain myself.

"I'm not a random person, Freya." he counters.

"I don't want any problems and you have Vera..."

"I haven't talked or kissed a single girl since I found out that you are my mate." he explains, his eyes not leaving mine for a single second.

"But you're engaged. You're going to be married soon. Kissing is kind of part of that deal."

"Whenever Vera tries to kiss me, I see your face and I make any excuse I can."

Well, that explains why she is being extra annoying lately." I groan.

"Should I tell her to stop bothering you?" he asks.

"So let me get this straight, you're going to tell your fiance to stop bothering your mate?"

He takes a deep breath." I didn't know that when I was forced into the engagement that I would find my mate soon after. Now that you are part of my life, I won't let anyone hurt you," he vows.

I love this emotional side of him, but I also hate it. Hate that I feel so strongly for a guy that is already engaged. I might be in trouble because if he keeps on showing me his true self, I might just fall for him.

"Thank you for everything," I whisper.

"You don't have to thank me."

"I wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't for you. God knows what Ignatius wants with me." a tear forming in my eye.

"I won't let anything bad happen to you. I will always be there to rescue you. You're not alone. You have Talia and you have me."

Lifting his hand, he wipes a tear-off of my cheek. I quickly realize how close his face is to mine. He leans in slowly, every second closer to my lips. He hovers for a bit, giving me the chance to push him away, but I don't. My heart pounds in my chest. I could smell his sweet scent of pine. His fingers land on my neck, sending a shiver down my spine. He kisses me like his very life depends on it. Like this kiss might be our last.

"I hate ruining this, but Talia is right outside!''

"I always seem to forget that you guys are all werewolves and have super hearing. Well, I probably should go talk to her." I tell him, getting off of his bed.

"I'm always here if you need someone to talk to."

"I don't know what happened to the other Caelum, but I hope he never comes back." I joke, leaving his room.

"Hey, Talia."

"I knew you were hiding something from me, but I wanted to give you some time to process everything."

"And I appreciate it. Let's go to my room. I want you to learn this piece of information from me." I tell her as we enter my room.

"I think Caelum might be my mate," I mutter all too quickly.

"WHAT!" she gasps.

"Well, I don't know how having a mate works. You know I'm still figuring things out." I tell her. It feels great to be able to speak about him to someone. Like a weight just left my shoulders.

"Cam is your mate," she repeats. "It explains how he's always finding you when you're in trouble. You know you can sense your mate's emotions." She explains. Her smile fades to a frown. "I'm sorry, Freya."

"I didn't think I would meet my mate and then meet his fiance."

"We'll think of something. I won't let my brother ruin his life."

"I don't know if you'll be able to fix this, not this time."

"Don't worry that pretty little head of yours. Fate has a funny way of working out. You can try to run from it, but what is meant to be will be," she tells me.

"You really are over here sounding like a fortune cookie!" I smile, letting myself forget about all of my problems. That's tomorrow's Freya's problem.