Chapter 27 - An Offer? Rejected.

Ace

"We are here! Can you believe it, Ace? I am finally in Paris. I thought I would never make it here alive. I was even low-key scared that the plane would crash before I got here."

I watched Ava jump in excitement. It was always amusing to watch her. She was a woman who would never hesitate to express what she felt, at least in front of me. Whether she was happy, sad, or angry—she was like an open book to me. For others, though, she was a complete mystery.

"Well, if it did, we would have gone to hell together," I retorted.

She pouted and rebuked, "How many times did I tell you to say we will go to heaven, not hell?"

I rolled my eyes and said, "We will see about that when we actually die."

She sighed and pulled up a bright smile before handing me her phone and running to one of the big pillars. "Ace, click my picture," she said, striking a pose.

I glanced at the airport and asked her to be sure, "Here? In the airport?"

"Yes," she said in an obvious tone. "I want to capture every moment here."

"Ava, you do know we can come here anytime you want, right?"

After all, it would take me just one text to book an entire vacation in a short time—perks of being rich as Croesus.

"I know, but I still want to capture every moment." Before I could say something, she said, "Shush. Now click my picture quietly."

"As you say, Ma'am," I grumbled and clicked plenty of her photos. She was very picky when it came to her pictures. Earlier, I wasn't much of a good photographer, but thanks to her, I turned out to be one of the most reliable photographers she could trust blindly.

"Are you done?" I asked her once she got up from the bench she was sitting on and checked the pictures I clicked.

"Yes, these would do for now. You can click more when we return to this airport to go home," she mumbled and started walking away. To be honest, I wasn't surprised. I had experience from our time at the hotel after our reception.

I knew I should have hired a professional photographer for this vacation. But I didn't want that person to third-wheel us all the time. I would rather click the pictures myself, and it wasn't like looking at Ava through the camera lenses wasn't a treat.

We got into the car that I had personally booked for this tour.

I glanced at Ava, who was gazing at the view from the windshield of the car, with a child-like grin on her beaming face. I would do anything to keep that expression of pure happiness on her face forever.

The last time when her tour got canceled, she had been so sad and it had broken my heart to see her withered like that. I had promised myself for a long time that I would go to any extent to fulfill the dream of the woman who was there for me when I couldn't rely on anyone else, and to this day, I think I was doing a great job at keeping that promise.

However, my worst fear was one day when Ava will learn the truth that I wasn't the perfect man she made me out to be and that I had thorns that were too dangerous for a normal person. Would Ava ever accept me if she learned that I made assassins kill people—just the people who were related to my dad and sister's death?

Ava didn't know that I had an elder sister. After all, no one wanted to remember her. Any of her reminders pained my family's hearts.

Her name was Ella, and she died a year before I met Ava. She was a gang-rape victim who committed suicide, or so everyone thought. She was murdered by her rapists, and those rapists were the sons of a few affluent business friends Dad had. Dad had tried to fight for his daughter's justice, but those so-called friends of his made him and Ella liars in the court. Later on, they killed her and made it seem like a suicide.