Chapter 28: Ummm

"Kai, I don't want you to get hurt trying to help me. I only told you this because I want you to know how I died, when I die," he turned around again and swam closer to me. Because he was taller I had to look up to see his face clearly,"I already told you I don't mind, I'd die a thousand times to save you and Kylie and Rylie." I smiled and quickly looked away at the sight of blue. What was with me today? I kept seeing blurs. I could've just been seeing things I mean there's blue everywhere. I was in the ocean! I squinted and stared so hard my eyes watered. I shook my head shaking the thoughts from my mind,"Ok, where are we?" I waved my hands into the vast space around us,"There's nothing here but ocean." Kai snapped his fingers,"That's what we want you to think." I looked at him and gave him the most obvious look of confusion ever,"What? Who's we?" Kai closed his eyes and let out a long exhale, then he opened one eye and said,"We don't ever speak of this." I nodded, scared of what was coming next. But what came next was a beautiful charming voice, or more to say, a whistle. The whistle was full and clear, but at the same time it could've been mistaken for a voice. And I was so hypnotized by the voice I forgot to question where it was coming from. "Kai, do you hear that?" The whistle stopped and Kai glanced at me grinning. "What?" He asked, I blinked, incredulous. "You didn't hear it? The whistle? I don't know what they were singing but it was beautiful. I can't believe you didn't hear it," I pouted. Kai chuckled and scratched the back of his head. "That was me." I blink for a second time and smile,"Do it again!" He nodded, and whistled wonderfully. I danced the whole entire time. And when Kai realized he had come to the end of that song, he started another on. I danced in twirls and spirals and dives and everything else imaginable. I twirled and twirled and twirled until Kai caught me ending the last song. I spluttered out my black hair and stared into my friend's deep blue eyes and he stared into my brown ones. "Your whistling is amazing," I say pulling away. Kai chuckled again,"So was your dancing. Very abstract," I snort, rolling my eyes. Then I heard the most horrible sound ever, a shriek. I tilted my head to the side to see who it was. Kai turned around and let go. We both just waited and watched and when nothing happened Kai turned back around," Do you know what that was?" I shook my head. Then the squeal came again." Who is that!?" I yelled. Kai watched the ocean like he had an idea of what it was but didn't dare say it. Like speaking those words could bring it to life. "What was the singing for?" I asked Kai. He glimpsed the rock left of me and pointed,"For that. It needs voice recognition." "Voice recognition? Kai, it's a rock." He rolled his eyes, picked up a smaller rock, swam backwards a bit and flung it at a little specific nook whispering some words to it then a door opened and my jaw dropped. "My dad was an inventor. I remember him teaching me to do this just in case something happened." I got so excited I just dove for the entrance. But into the same rock. "Oww?!" I said, turning around and rubbing my forehead. Kai was barely able to contain a laugh. Then he let it pour from his mouth. I folded my arms, glaring and waiting for him to get the gesture I wanted him to stop. "You done?" I asked with an eyebrow. He nodded then rephrased his words," My dad was an inventor. He taught me how to activate his secret hideout in case of an emergency," he held up a finger like Wait a second. "You go down." I inspect where Kai pointed then glared at him. I was opening my mouth to scold him when a gravelly sound, like a rock rolling across the ground with force, stopped me. I swam down expecting more gray rock, only to be invited by a mini house. A modern apartment looking place. With black walls, white lights, and sandy wood for tables and decoration. There was a board in a corner with one mystery. The Royal Family. Well, figured that one out. I stared in awe at the vintage I had swam into. A couch it was so soft and comfortable. I bit my lip,"I like this. I get why your mom and dad are," I grunted trying to find a comfortable place,"married. Your dads a genius." I realized what I said and sat up quickly,"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," I couldn't find the words. "I'm sorry," I apologized. Kai came and sat down,"I have to be honest with you." He took a deep breath his cheeks puffing up, just like Auntie A's had when she was about to tell me my backstory. "Kylie and Rylie's parents aren't my parents. Or at least birth parents anyway." Kai caught my eyes and I didn't let go. "I'm-I'm a prince. My parent's kingdom was falling apart and someone was going to try to kill us all. Well, that's what I've been told. So my parents called their closest friends and they raised me as their own. Kylie and Rylie's parents. After my parents death, Kylie and Rylie's parents went to fight in the war to make sure that Atlantic could rule that kingdom and not Pacific. It hurt when they told me. But it was for my own good. It was even worse when they didn't come back though." I hugged Kai,"I am so sorry, Kai. I know that hurt." I felt something gently touch my neck then the feeling fluttered away. A tear inflated into a bubble. Kai didn't seem to know what to do with his arms. They hung limply at his side. "I am so sorry." I loosened my grip on him. "but I'm here for you and I'm sure if you tell Kylie and Rylie they'll understand and it'll make you feel better." He smiled brightly and relieved. "You are a good person, Zayana. I know you are." And he hugged me back. I think that was the first that's ever happened. "Zayana?" "Mmm," I answered. "You told me that Agua was out to kill the Royal family and you think you know why, why?" "Remember when that spear flew at me? Well, I saw a blur, but it wasn't a blue blur like his tail color. Which doesn't make any sense. And he knew that the guard had sent me to his mom because he thought we stole jewelry but I never told him. He must've been watching me since I first entered the ocean, maybe even before. I mean, how else would Rob have known when I transformed for the first time. He knew the exact moment to invade my home and take Auntie A. Which means he would've gotten a warning from someone. They've been watching me my whole life. Waiting for me to figure it out for me to transform. I don't know why yet. Agua's probably one of Rob's top workers. I'm not sure. When Rob invaded my home he mentioned his little prince. His little prince is Agua! There's a lot of gaps in this investigation. Anyway he wants to be king and he knows I'm the princess, the rightful heir for the throne and he's making sure I don't live to say that." Kai inhaled sharply,"Zayana?" "Here all day," I responded. "If Agua and his crew have been watching you since you entered the ocean and when we were at that place that someone threw a spear at you," Kai gulped,"Wouldn't that mean he'd be watching us right now." My eyes widened but I wasn't ready when the dark blue figure burst through from the vent in the ceiling and hurled a knife. Not at me, but at my friend-"Kai!"