Revelations

I open my eyes to, who would'a guessed it, more darkness. I shift uncomfortably, feeling around for some kind of light switch. I'm lying on something hard, and a few stubbed fingers later I decide it's stone. A prison cell? I don't know why I'd be in jail. Did I do something? What's going on!?

The fear kicks in before I have time to remember why I'm so afraid. I start to panic, pushing myself up onto my knees. Stumbling, I regain my balance and start to stand-

"Don't." The word cuts through the silence like a knife, shocking me into stillness. Someone is here. Someone is with me in this room. The reality of the statement hits me and I start to remember. The paint, the closet, the girl.

"Let me go!" The words are shrill, almost a scream. It takes me a second to realize they came from me.

The voice laughs, though there's no humor in it.

"You don't want that."

I hear a low shuffling somewhere to my left, and the sound of a match being struck. A flame appears, and I look away, shielding my eyes from the light.

The girl doesn't.

She stares at the match, eyes alive with fierce curiosity. It's like she's never seen a flame before. I wonder how long she's been waiting in the dark.

Offput, I open my mouth to say something, I don't really know what. The tiny movement hurts my head and I let out a pained noise.

She startles, snapping back to reality. The curious sparkle leaves her eyes and for a moment I think the flame is out. It comes back brighter, larger, illuminating the whole room.

And now I can see her.

I admit, she might be older than she seemed last night, around my age, though small. Her hair is a fiery red, chopped hastily to her chin. Her green eyes dart to my face, and there's a nervousness about her, a wildness. I tilt my head and her eyes narrow.

"Where'd you get the gun?" The words are harsh, commanding. I don't respond.

I'm somewhat surprised by her voice. It's so cold and scratchy, not at all the kind you'd expect from such a bright and weightless looking person.

Ignoring her question, I take a minute to look around the room. It's a cave-like structure, the size of a small bedroom. It's carved out in a man-made way, though no windows offer any light. There's a small table and a lantern, with a few ice coolers stacked haphazardly in the corner.

In an instant, she's by my side, hard stare locked on my every move. I sigh, what's the harm in answering? I have no doubt that this girl could kill me in my current state, and she hasn't yet.

"Don't try and lie to me," she warns. "I saw the gun. You wanted to find me, and here I am. Now you have to play by my rules."

I almost laugh. As if I'm in any position to lie.

"I stole it." My parched voice cracks. "There's a storage locker in the school."

"For weaponry?"

"It's left over from the old days. When we might have uh," I pause, swallowing stiffly. "Needed it."

The girl rolls her eyes. "Of course. Couldn't have any humans hurting innocent Levorian children. You guys are so sick."

I blink. You guys? I'm vaguely offended by the implication. I've certainly never shot anyone, though I suppose it's hard to defend now.

"What's your name?" she questions. "And what in Euphoria were you planning to do?"

I decide to answer the first question. "Joseph Mills."