f i f t e e n

Kai never saw the punch coming, the impact sending him stumbling back. His legs hit the bed frame and he went sprawling across it, letting out an 'oomph!' as his head cracked against the headboard.

Drew was on him in a flash, straddling his chest as he grabbed his shirt and dragged his head up before punching him again. "You son of a bitch!" He hissed.

"Ow, dear Jesus. Drew, let me expl-"

"No!" Drew said, Kai's shirt fisted in his hand as he prepared to hit him again. "How dare you? Is this a game to you? How badly you can torment me before I break?"

"No, of course n-" Kai tried to say. The collar of his shirt was getting uncomfortably tight.

"Shut up! Do you have any idea what you've done? He was my friend. He was somebody I trusted, and now it turns out he's a giant lie?"

Kai was tempted to make a comment about internet safety but decided that he liked his balls where they were.

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't even say you're sorry!" Drew shoved him down again and got off him. "Don't ever talk to me again, or I'll report you for assault and harassment."

Who assaulted who, again?

"I did nothing of the kind!" Kai protested.

"Oh, really?" Drew spat. "And who are the police going to believe? The huge, tough alphas who are known for violence? Or the cute little omegas who wouldn't hurt a fly?"

Kai groaned and dragged a hand down his face. Drew had a legitimate point: the police did typically side with omegas. At this rate, Kai could be thrown in jail unless he did something fast.

"Drew, let me explain why," he pleaded. Pleading was below him, he'd always thought. The more you know.

"What possible excuse could you have?"

Kai got up slowly, Drew keeping at least six feet of distance between them. He held up his hands in surrender.

"At first, I didn't know it was you. I just read and enjoyed the book, and when I was given the opportunity to become friends with the author, I was thrilled. Of course! Who wouldn't be?" He explained slowly, examining Drew's reaction to everything. Right now he just looked tired as he crossed his arms and leaned against the closed door.

"I didn't know who you were, what you looked like, nothing. We were friends over the internet. That's all. Then I transferred to this school.

"From the minute you drove a knee into my crotch and cussed me out for touching you, I knew you were special, as cliché and stupid as it sounds." Drew's face turned bright red. Was that good or not?

"Unfortunately, the omega I decided I was going to make mine didn't want anything to do with me, so for a while, I gave up. I didn't want you to hate me anymore than you already did, but I didn't know what to do. Then I saw the picture.

"I don't even know what I was thinking. I was just desperate for any kind of contact with you I think. It's the only explanation, really. I swear I'm typically not that stupid," he chuckled slightly, stopping when he saw Drew frown.

"Anyways, I knew you wouldn't talk to me if you knew I was an alpha, but you also wouldn't talk to me if you didn't know what I was. I was obviously not an omega, so I decided to be fucking stupid and say I was a beta. Why the fuck did I even do that?"

"That was pretty stupid," Drew agreed.

At least he was hearing him out. Kai fully expected to be thrown the fuck out, so this was going way better than expected.

"Yeah, no kidding. So we talked for a bit. Everyday I wanted to tell you who I really was, but everyday I didn't. Then today happened. I finally got enough balls to man up and decide I was going to tell you, but the second I saw you, I completely panicked."

"And you lied to me," Drew said quietly.

"Yes. I lied," Kai said painfully. "And I'm so sorry I lied. You deserve nothing but the truth."

"So why did you? You lied because you were scared? Or it was funny, you liked teasing me?"

"I was... scared," Kai ground out through his teeth. "Scared you wouldn't ever talk to me again, scared you would hate me without a chance of winning you over, scared of how you would react. Honestly, I'm still scared."

"If you're lying again..." Drew threatened.

"I swear I'm not!" Kai ran a hand through his hair, letting out a frustrated sigh.

"So what? You l-like me or something?" Drew asked with a red face. He was adorable when he's embarrassed.

"Yeah. I like you, Drew." The second he said the words a weight was lifted off his chest. Like he could finally breathe again. Who knew honesty felt this good?

"Why? I was a jerk to you! There's nothing good about me at all! I'm irritable, bony, rude...." Drew slid down the door, drawing his knees in and burying his face in them.

"No, you're not. You're gorgeous, strong, independent. You stand up for yourself and you don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't do as an omega."

Drew was shaking.

Kai frowned. He stepped forward cautiously until he was kneeling next to Drew.

"You're not the only one, you know."

"What do you mean?"

"You're not the only alpha to tell me I was special."

Kai held back a growl. Who was he? I'll rip him apart!

"What happened?" He asked quietly, as if this moment were made of glass, and any sudden motion or noise would break it.

Drew was quiet for a few minutes. Kai was starting to get worried when he started talking. "You heard my conversation with the Principal right? About why I don't like alphas?

"Yeah, I heard."

"It was worse than I told her. Yeah, I was verbally abused because I was on the basketball team, but some of them," he took a shuddering breath, "some of them did worse."

"Worse?" Kai asked, his heart sinking.

"They, they would hurt me. Just because I wanted to play a sport. I would have bruises, just under my uniform so no one could see them." Drew's face was terrifyingly emotionless, like this no longer affected him.

Kai was furious. More than furious. He wanted to rip into the people who did this to him, his boy. How dare they touch him? His hands flexed, and he clenched them so tightly his knuckles turned white.

"They got bored with me though. I stopped responding to them. They wanted my responses, craved them. So they did this to me." Drew reached out and used Kai's shoulder to pull himself up.

With growing horror, Kai watched as Drew pulled up his baggy t-shirt. Starting at his left hip bone and going up to about half way up his rip cage, somebody had carved the word 'used' into his skin.

"I'm used," Drew said dully.

I STARTED CRYING HALF WAY INTO THIS CHAPTER OMG IM A MESS. IM SO SORRY BABY, MAMA LOVES YOU ;-;