Chapter 31 - A Decision

Ace

"Ava, are you ready yet?" I hollered, walking into our bedroom, as we should be heading down for the party by now. "Ava?"

I looked around the room, but Ava was nowhere to be found inside. I checked the closet room. She wasn't there, either. But her phone was on the dressing table.

Where was she? When I last saw her, she said that she was almost done with makeup and just had to wear the dress. I got an uneasy feeling in my guts, all of a sudden.

I hurried out of the room and asked one of the maids, "Have you seen Ava?"

"Yes, Sir, she was headed towards Ma'am Liliana's room," the maid responded.

I gave a curt nod and made my way to Liliana's room. Guests would be arriving soon, and Ava wasn't ready yet. She was the birthday girl, and people would only look for her. And I really don't know why I just got the feeling that I had to see her right now.

Before I could knock on Liliana's room, my phone rang up. I picked it up quickly and heard Veron report, "Sir, there's bad news. Today, when I came to check on Simon, he wasn't in the dungeon."

"How can that happen? What do you mean by Simon isn't—" I couldn't complete my sentence as I heard Liliana's scream.

"Ava!"

My heart almost leaped out of my chest as I cut the call and barged into Liliana's room.

The sight I witnessed made my heart clench and my blood boil at the same time. Ava's left hand was pressing over her right upper arm and blood gushing out of there, and across the room, someone jumped off the window. But I couldn't focus on the latter because my full attention was on Ava.

Ava was wincing in pain, yet she was busy assuring Liliana, "Hey, it's just a scratch from the knife. Don't worry, Lily. I'm going to be fine. It doesn't even hurt that much."

I took a deep breath to calm myself and walked over to them. "Seriously? Is it just a scratch? It doesn't hurt much? Does a scratch bleed that much?" I demanded, clearly annoyed at how she was treating a severe injury as a mere wound.

"Oh, no, now I am gonna get an earful," I heard her grumble.

"Lily, call the doctor," I told Liliana sternly before scooping up Ava in my arms.

"Ace, I got injured in my arm, not on my le—" before she could complete her sentence, I shot her a death glare.

She silenced herself while I carried her to our bedroom. I took the first aid kit and temporarily covered her wound so that she wouldn't lose any more blood.

"What exactly happened there, Ava?" I asked, trying but failing miserably in keeping my calm.

"I went to Lily's room to get her to do my hair, but when she didn't respond, I opened the door and saw Simon pressing a knife against her throat," she started narrating.

I clenched my fist in anger. That bastard...

"I fought with Simon, and while trying to save Lily, the knife brushed against my arm instead. Simon got scared and jumped out of the window, but I took Lily's phone and called the guards to catch him." She took my hands in hers. "Ace, call the guards and see whether they have caught him yet or not. Though, I wonder how he escaped. I thought you handed him to the cops already."

I sighed and cupped her cheeks. "You are such a brave person, Ava. You did a smart job. I am proud of you, but please try not to get hurt. I hate to see you like this."