Chapter 56 (Extended)

Jace wanted, no, he needed to get back to Ariana, but he had to put an end to everything before he went back for her.

"Are you ready for this?" Jack looked at him in the passenger's seat,

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"Good." Jace picked up his radio, "Leo?"

"Director Penn?" Leo responded through the radio,

"I'll wrap up things here and head back to the bureau, transport Mr. Black to the new safe house."

"Will do, sir."

Jack and Jace sat in Jack's car as they watched Leo's drive off, two other bureau cars following behind. Jace turned to Jack.

"You think they'll buy it?"

Jack had spotted a van parked a block away on his way down and he hadn't suspected anything at all until he'd had Shay check the street cameras if there were any. She'd called back when she found something after watching the footage a few minutes before Jace and Ariana had been attacked. Some men got out of the van and pulled on their masks and the rest was history.

Jack smiled and gestured to the van that drove past them tailing Leo and the rest.

"That's our cue," Jace said and Jack pulled out of the driveway and headed in the opposite direction back to the city.

"I hope whatever it is they have planned, they don't recognize that they have the wrong Jace Black."

Jace had just been thinking the same thing and if the mastermind behind everything was who he thought it was, after taking out most of the attackers at the party, they would've had to hire new people and that left no time for backstories and introductions. At least, he hoped.

His mind wandered to Ariana and he sighed.

"You doing alright?"

"I will once this night ends."

"When's the real wedding?"

Jace smiled and glanced at Jack,
"You're loving this, aren't you?"

"When I put her on your case, I hoped you two would learn something from each other." Jace said, "Well, mostly her learning a thing or two from you since you were once like her before you finally adjusted to the civilian life."

"And everything you said about letting her stay strong or losing her?"

"That was all talk. Of course, I meant it but when it comes to love, it's void."

"I'm glad you approve."

"And I'm looking forward to getting back to the bureau to see a very active and ready agent." Jack smiled,

"I pity anyone who gets in her way before I get to her."

Jack glanced at Jace,
"You are seriously gone, dude. There's no hope for revival."

"If this is how it feels then I'm happy where I am."

Jack turned his car and headed to the Black mansion.

On the way to the other safe house, Leo drove slowly and steadily not wanting to break the convoy or lose the van that tailed them. He reached for his radio knowing they were listening in.

"Coming up to the safe house shortly, guys."

Leo made the next turn heading through a deserted street. It wasn't a moment longer before the van made the same turn and sped up front heading towards the convoy. Passing the first car, they came up to the second and got between the second and the first car. Leo stopped the car and took out his gun getting out of the car at the same time a couple of guys in masks got out of the back of the van.