Chapter 24

Nicholas was ashamed of his behaviour from the past two days. He wanted to stay away from Emma but he missed her too, which made him even angrier. When she marched in with the food tray he wanted nothing more than to hug her, but instead, he lost his temper and shouted. He didn't want her to see him in such a state. He didn't want her to know how much of a loser he was.

Her words kept repeating in his heart, 'Please don't push me away. I felt like I was dying.' He apologized but that didn't seem enough, he had hurt her deeply. Emma deserves a better marriage.

He looked at his sleeping wife, she was perfect in every aspect. She had broken all the walls he built around his heart and had taken complete possession of it.

She woke up and caught him staring at her.

'Good morning dear,' he said and bent down to kiss her.

She covered her hands and mumbled, 'I haven't brushed.'

'I will risk it,' he said and captured her mouth in a searing kiss. Only Mary's arrival forced them out of the bed.

Nicholas found it hard to concentrate on the accounts of the estate he should be verifying. All his mind would think was his wife. He shook his head and looked at the finances, hardly a minute passed and he was back to missing his wife.

As she could sense he was thinking of her, she walked in smiling.

'Am I disturbing you?'

'No, no, come in.'

'I wanted to ask your permission to take Amelia to Evan's musical.'

On his questioning look, she added, 'Evan's family has a daughter Amelia's age, Lady Evan wrote and invited her to attend. There is a ball, afterwards. I think it is a good idea for her to attend a ball before debut.'

'Sure, you both can go. You don't need to ask permission.'

'Thank you,' she said, smiling radiantly.

He held out his hand, he didn't have to pull her. She came to him.

'And I want you to come too.'

'When is the musical?'

'This Monday.'

'Monday! I have an engagement scheduled for that evening. I can't come.'

'It's your daughter's first public appearance. You should be there to support her,' she said sternly.

'I don't think I can make it on time.'

'You could be fashionably late,' she said with pursed lips.

'Have you always been this feisty?' On seeing her frown he hastened, 'I will be there, fashionably late.'

'Thanks,' she said, her smile returning.

He picked her and made her sit on his table. He kissed her slowly, trailing to her neck.

'Nicholas!' she moaned as he reached the space between her neck and her breasts. He liked the current fashion of deep necks, giving easy access to him.

'Maybe we should continue in our chamber,' she suggested huskily.

'No, I want you now.'

They made love on his table and then by his private library.

'Nicholas!' she screamed for the third time, he kissed her, swallowing her scream.

'I should go now' she said without conviction as she sat saddled on his lap.

'You should,' he replied, not easing his hold on her.

She looked up at him; a mistake she realized, as he looked back at her seductively through his long laces. She couldn't contain the love she felt for him. They kissed and made love, again.

Emma knew they would go on forever. With a resolve she didn't know she possessed, she left his study. It was still three hours since she arrived.