Chapter 20

Valeriya had woken up with the jolt of the car running over a pothole, causing her to groan in distaste. "Ugh... Would you mind being more careful?"

Toni glanced at her with a quirked brow and then smirked a little. "Whatever you say, princess." She teased before deliberately running over another pothole.
"Antonia!" The younger woman scolded, getting a bit huffy. This only caused Toni to laugh, though. Valeriya was hardly threatening, even though she often aimed to be. What, with her pistol training and all. Sure, she was good with a gun, but they both knew deep down that she was as gentle as a mouse. A very cute, small mouse.

"You're going to damage the undercarriage! Stop running over potholes!" She continued to complain with every bump and jump.

"This car won't even matter once we reach the docks! Calm down. Damn." Toni rolled her eyes, still finding the other's annoyance rather funny.

"The docks? We aren't going to the airport?" Valeriya turned in her seat, stretching her seatbelt a bit as she stared Toni down.

"Yes... I can't go through an airport." She responded, making a smooth turn to the right and speeding up to 80 miles per hour.
"Then why did we go and get my passport?! If we're taking a boat then we won't need it, will we?" Valeriya tossed her hands into the air in a frustrated way and sighed.

Toni set her elbow on the window edge, and rested her head in her hand while she kept the other on the wheel. She twisted her mouth off to the side in thought. "Well... I figured you could use one last look at your old life before we left, maybe for good."

"It wasn't a good idea." She chuckled, shaking her head.

"It wasn't? I thought..." Toni furrowed her brows and turned her head fully to look at the other.

"Antonia, the road!" Valeriya blurted, bringing Toni's attention back to driving.

"Whoops, sorry." She hummed.

"Anyway... There were a lot of sour memories in that house. And I dare say... you executed the wrong parent." Her voice came out gentler than before, as if she was scared to open up about her past with her family. Toni could catch her uneasiness immediately.

"Well, I killed both. Do you mean, my target was the wrong one?" Toni corrected, glancing over at the other who clearly wasn't amused at being checked.

"Sorry." Toni smiled in apology, feeling the small bit of venom in the other's stare.

"Anyway, I mean that when it came to who deserved it more between my parents... it was more so my mother. My father wasn't innocent, either, but he never... h-he n-never..." She clammed up suddenly, thinking back on what had actually transpired between her and her mother throughout the years. She often wondered if her father knew about the beatings, the whippings. If he did know, why did he never say anything? And if he didn't, then she didn't blame him as much as she originally would have.

"Val? You don't have to tell me if you aren't ready..." Toni reassured, reaching out to give her counterpart a light squeeze on her forearm.

Valeriya was grateful for the slight of affection, in moments like these; moments of self doubt and bad memories, it was much needed. "Thank you..."

Valeriya took a few moments to collect herself before speaking on the subject again. "I know neither of my parents were great people, but my mother was far worse. My father never hurt me like she did... She always hated the attention he would give me. He treated me so well always, he made sure I lived well. He used to call me his star over Russia every night before bed." She paused, smiling in memory.

"If I asked for something, I got it. My mother hated it, though. It was as if she were jealous that I had such a strong bond with my father. I found out, eventually, that she was. Her jealousy eventually turned into hate, and that hate came with violence."