A Voice In The Night

It had been a few days since Elira encountered Amon and his chi blocking equalists. Things seemed to be slowly going back to normal and sadly, that included accompanying her father to council meetings. She was sat next to her father around the U-shaped table. Her back straight, head held high, looking bored as she listened to the grown-ups argue. 

"There is a madman running around our beloved city, threatening to tear it apart. We need to create a task force whose sole mission is to find Amon and bring him to justice." 

"Absolutely not. A move that aggressive would only further divide benders and nonbenders." Tenzin opposed 

"Tarrlok, I'm inclined to agree with your proposal, but who would even head up such a task force?" The Fire Nation councilwoman questioned

" It would be my honour and privilege to accept such a duty." Tarrlok stood, bowing 

"This is just another one of your ploys to gain more power, isn't it?" Tenzin accused, slamming his fist on the table lightly 

"All I'm trying to do is help. Think back, forty-two years ago, Republic City was threatened by another dangerous man. Yakone.  Your father wasn't afraid to deal with him head-on." Tarrlok pointed at the airbender. 

"How dare you compare yourself to my grandfather!" Elira glared, standing from her seat

"Precisely and this is a completely different situation" Tenzin added, standing beside his daughter. 

"Amon is not going to stop with the bending triads. Or a couple of teenagers" Tarrlok continued making Elira glare at him harder as he turned to the other representatives " Eventually, he will come for all us benders. Our friends, our families. Vote for this task force and I will stop Amon before it's too late. All in favour?" 

Tarrlok raised his hand and the Fire Nation representative raised her hand as well. After a brief glance at each other, the Southern Water Tribe and Earth Kingdom representatives also raised their hands. With that, Tarrlok slammed a gavel down on a platform to close the meeting and smiled mischievously at the airbenders who glared at him. 

*

Later that night, Elira was outside playing Pai Sho with Jinora while Pichi was asleep by the radio playing light happy music in the background. 

"Ha! Gotcha!" Elira smirked as she blocked her sister

"Oh, come on!" The younger girl complained making Elira laugh before the music suddenly became static. 

"Good evening, my fellow Equalists" Amon's voice echoed through the speaker causing Pichi to screech and run to Elira who was staring at the radio in fear. 

"This is your leader, Amon. As you have heard, the Republic Council has voted to make me public enemy number one, proving once again that the bending oppressors of this city will stop at nothing to quash our revolution. But we cannot be stopped. Our numbers grow stronger by the day. You no longer have to live in fear. The time has come for benders to experience fear--" 

Elira quickly turned off the radio, her breathing heavy and her eyes wide as a bead of sweat rolled down her forehead. 

"El...Are you okay?" Jinora asked, getting up, staring at her sister concerned 

Elira took a few short breaths before sighing and turning around, a small smile now on her face. "I'm fine, why?" 

"...That's the guy who kidnapped you, isn't it?"Jinora realised  

Elira's smile fell slightly as she went over to her sister and hugged her tightly "It's okay, Jinora. Everything's gonna be alright. You'll see" 

Jinora didn't reply and hugged her sister harder as Pichi climbed onto El's shoulders chittering.