Chapter 21: Sweet

With foreheads pressed together, the sickly sweet scent of spearmint and cinnamon filled their noses as a smile tugged on the inner corner of each of their lips. His eyes were closed, trying to hold this moment in his memory, like he could ever forget it in the first place. Her laugh felt a lot like music, and as it's symphony surrounded the two of them, he swore he'd found his favorite song. Joe hoped it would never stop playing. A hesitant hand grazed against his cheek, slowly drifting away from his skin. He opened his eyes. Fighting the urge to return her gentle touch, what he would give to feel it again.
      She was shining. Joe had wondered if when she was born, her parents had looked down to her and saw it too; that glow that encompassed her with her every stride, with her every breath and blink. Hoshiko. Star. Such fitting names for a person as radiant as she was. Her movements had stalled, much like a vehicle at a railroad crossing, she seemed cautious. Like she was waiting for something. But the truth was, regardless of what came next, she would be okay. Because this. This was what she wanted to convey, and she figured actions could always speak louder than words. Star could've spent centuries trying to explain how much she needed Joe in her life, but she would opt for sharing a simple kiss with him instead, hopeful that it could lead to their forever. Because maybe then she'd have more than enough time to tell him. Maybe centuries could start now. Their book could begin.

      Even if it feels like the world has stopped turning, it hasn't. So it's important to remember that even in the most monumental moments, the Earth will continue to circle as it always had. Which is to say that even such a tender instance could fade into the background of someone else's story. Unfortunately, it is time to return to theirs.

"How fitting."

      Revulsion was hidden in Adam's every glance as he gave off some faux-sense of adoration. Clapping his hands together merrily, humming a celebratory tune as he danced in circles. Conflicted was a good word to describe what he had been feeling. Two individuals he hadn't particularly liked had stolen the limelight with their personal affairs, but at least his precious Snow hadn't yet fallen from the ranks. Surpassing yet another pawn in this little game of his. One move closer to checkmate, and oh, what fun it was going to be.

"Do I hear Wedding Bells at this Wedding Beef?" He mused, presenting as the character 'S' had known and loved. "Who knew I was such a match-maker? Guess they don't call me the Matador of Love for nothing!"

     If looks could kill, it was safe to assume that Adam would've died off a long time ago. Given the sort of glares Star had sent his way on every occasion possible. But none of which would have been as gruesome a death as right now. Even from miles away, a chill was sent up the faux-matador's spine. Caused by none other than the absolute daggers Cherry was striking into the back of the man's skull.

How dare he?

     Months of meticulous planning and preparations. Swiping schedules off of desktops to find openings for them to swoop in at just the right moments. Lying about colds, repeatedly feigning ill so that idiot gorilla would have the chance to actually talk to her - which wasn't an easy feat. For as much as Joe's damn mouth was open, he couldn't speak for shit about his own stupid feelings. It was irritating! Cherry would be damned if someone else tried to take that credit away from him, especially someone who hadn't endured an ounce of the annoyance that came along with it.

"Congratulations to Snow!" Adam sung out, spinning himself around the stage in utter delight. Far too excited to pull the next couple cards from the deck. "You really do go above and beyond to exceed my expectations! We're all so lucky to have you!" Another devious grin hung off the man's face as he shoved a hand into the box, plucking the first card that touched his fingertips. "Alright darlings, let's see about the next beef, shall we?"