Chapter 33 - Confrontation

Ava

I was completely staggered after finding out Ace's hidden truth. I didn't know how I should react, but I knew that I needed some time to process everything and cool off.

Confronting Ace right now would be a bad move, so I decided to book the earliest flight to Colorado and informed Aunt Chloe, whom I had found while leaving the mansion, that I was going to my dad's place.

Ace might think that I used and threw him away right after sex, but I couldn't care less about that at the moment.

All I could think about was the fact that my husband was a murderer. My Ace was someone who killed people to climb up the business ranks.

When I got on the flight and settled into my seat, I brought out my favorite book through which Ace had confessed his feelings to me. That book was the only thing I had brought along, nothing else, not even a suitcase of clothes.

Throughout the one-hour flight, I continued reading the book where I left off. When I got off the plane, I got a text from Ace.

Ace: Why are you suddenly visiting your dad? Is his health okay? Should I come too?

Seeing his concern about my dad made my heart flutter, but I shook my head to keep myself steady. I decided to reply, otherwise, he might go crazy and just come over anyway.

Ava: You don't have to come. Dad's fine. I just missed him.

His reply was almost instant.

Ace: Thank goodness. I thought you were mad at me about something and just left.

Well, his thought was right, but I didn't need to tell him that, so I put my phone back in my pocket and got to the car that Dad had sent for me at the airport.

After twenty minutes, I was home. Dad was waiting for me in the living room. He decided to stay home for me after I called him and said that I was coming for a visit. It was actually amazing how the two most workaholics people in my life would prioritize me so much over their work.

I put on a big smile and gave my dad a bear hug. I was good at covering my pain, so I got through the conversation with Dad. Mostly.

"Ava, is something wrong?" Dad asked suddenly in between when we were talking about Liliana's baby.

"Huh? No. Why would you say that?"

"No, I just felt like it." Dad gave me a smile.

Wow, you really can never hide anything from your parents.

"Dad..." I was hesitant to ask about it, but the encouraging smile he gave me was enough to remove any more doubts. "Say, what if one of your closest people hides a very important truth about themselves from you? What would you do? Won't you be mad at them?" I asked hypothetically.

Dad gave a thoughtful hum and said, "Naturally, I would be. But I'd also have to understand their reasons."

"What's their reason?"

"It's because they are afraid that you will hate that part of them, and they are only afraid because they truly love you. They are afraid that you will leave them. That's why they hide it."

I hummed in understanding.

"But I think it's courageous for them to confess that truth to you themselves." Ace didn't confess himself. I got to find out through Veron. "Because it means that they trust you not to leave them because of their truth." That meant Ace didn't trust me. "Besides, you really can't leave them because of that if you love them back as well. After all, true love means accepting all the good and bad," Dad advised.