34

IT'S SUNDAY AFTERNOON and Margot decided we'd have a barbecue. It was quite spontaneous, which leads me to believe she's just trying to keep herself busy. I haven't experienced it personally, but I'm sure divorce is tiring. James is on the grill with Mrs Ash, Neki and Bela are in the pool playing whirlwind with Jackson, and I'm sitting on the edge, occasionally getting splashed when the whirlwind gets too close.

I turn around, looking at Parker. He's on a sun lounger, his arm draped over his eyes, his chest rising and falling. His bad leg is propped up on the lounger, the other dangling off the chair and resting on the floor. His shorts are low, revealing enough to make me blush. God, he looks good.

Pulling my legs out of the water, I stand up, walking over to him and perching myself in the little space there is. He shifts a little, lifting his arm just enough so I can see his eyes. And then he smiles, wide.

"Hey." I smile back, resting my hand on his thigh.

He glances down and I stop, laughing sheepishly. "Sorry."

"Hey." he mumbles, his voice a little sleepy.

He moves up a little patting the slither of space beside him. I move up nonetheless, laying next to him. He wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me in so I don't fall, and I rest my hand on his chest.

"I've been thinking about you all day." his thumb strokes my hip and I roll my eyes.

"You've been sleeping for eighty percent of it."

I feel him look down at. "Miss me?"

I laugh a little, shaking my head. His heart is beating, quick but steady and I close my eyes, listening to the rhythm.

"I like being close to you. You're warm." I breathe, tracing my fingers over his chest.

I feel his chest rise, the rhythm of his heart speeding up the tiniest. Or I could be imagining it.

"God, Elena." he sighs. "You don't know what you're doing to me."

My heart overlaps the pace of his, beating at 100mph. His words bounce around in my head as I attempt to figure out what they mean.

I must be silent for too long, because I feel him look down at me again.

"I like this on you." he pulls back the strap of my bikini top, making it flick against my skin.

It's dark green, one that I've had for a while. I don't look up to avoid him seeing the flush of my cheeks.

Jackson giggles as Bela throws him over to Neki, who catches him before he goes under. James has his back to us as he dishes up the burgers and corn from the grill, placing them on the table. Margot is behind the table, adding salad and such to each of the plates. She must feel my eyes on her, because she glances up. Her eyes catch mine and she grins, a wide smile that I'm familiar with from Jack and Parker.

"Your moms watching us." I laugh quietly into Parker's chest.

He sighs, and I can tell he's shaking his head.

"Foods ready!" James calls back to us.

A little reluctantly, I get up, already missing the warmth of Parker. I pull on my denim shorts, leaving them unbuttoned. The water sloshes as everyone gets out the pool and we all meet at the table. It's fun. The most fun I've had in a while. We laugh, we talk, we laugh some more. This is a day I'd like to replay for the rest of my life.