𝟬𝟬𝟱. rachel elizabeth dare

gone girl.
━━━ chapter five

Their first stop was Percy's mom's apartment. As Sally Jackson was hugging her son, Amaryllis felt her heart clench in her chest as she couldn't help but compare the situation to her own mother. Percy had been missing for two weeks, but she had been missing for four whole years. She needed a hug from her mother as well. Annabeth must have sensed how hard it was for Amaryllis to watch, because she squeezed her shoulder before they entered the apartment.

"Mom, this is... Mar," Percy introduced the girl to his mother. If she wasn't so nervous and upset at the same time, she would probably tease him for still not being able to say her full name.

Sally Jackson was a very beautiful woman. Her dark complexion was the same as her son's and her thick hair were pulled into a curly bun on top of her head. She gave off the same feeling as drinking warm chocolate in front of a fireplace during the winter. Even though it was the first time she met her, Mrs Jackson hugged her as a welcome.

"It's very nice to meet you, Mar," she said, before she sat them down at the kitchen table and insisted on feeding them homemade blue chocolate chip cookies. Amaryllis ate more than she'd like to admit, although she had no idea why they were blue.

Percy explained everything to his mother. It was sweet to see how good of a relationship the two had. He could speak freely in front of her and she didn't have much of a reaction, even after she heard everything he did. Her calmness was very admiring and also contagious. Despite Amaryllis' anxiety, she felt herself relax after a while, to the point of barely paying attention until Annabeth spoke.

"Percy has this plan," she said bitterly.

He glared at her and although he seemed reluctant at first, he eventually explained it to his mother.

The woman nodded slowly. "It sounds very dangerous. But it might work."

"You have the same abilities, don't you?" Percy asked her. "You can see through the Mist."

His mother sighed. "Not so much now. When I was younger it was easier. But yes, I've always been able to see more than was good for me. It's one of the things that caught your father's attention, when we first met. Just be careful. Promise me you'll be safe."

Amaryllis felt a little bad hearing the worry in her voice. "We will," she reassured her.

"We'll try, Ms. Jackson," Annabeth added as well. "Keeping your son safe is a big job, though." She folded her arms and glared out the kitchen window.

Amaryllis nudged her with her elbow and looked at Ms Jackson apologetically. "What's going on with those two?" she asked her first, before turning to them. "Have you been fighting?"

Neither of them said anything, causing Amaryllis to sigh.

Ms Jackson frowned. "Both of you better behave yourselves. Grover and Tyson are counting on you three. Plus it's Mar's first quest, isn't it?" Amaryllis nodded. "Well, I think it's unfair to her if you two aren't talking to each other and making it harder than it needs to be."

She smiled at Percy's mom, grateful that someone seemed to understand how she felt. Amaryllis was getting pretty annoyed at the other two for acting so childish. During the car ride, they barely spoke to each other and only talked to her, like she was their messenger.