Chapter 25: Romanza (Part 2 of 4)

(Continued from part 1)

(Mood Music: "Melting Waltz" - Abel Korzeniowski)

A few days passed in this manner, with Adrien joining Marinette for breakfast (with an enthusiastic Tom and Sabine never far behind as they hovered excitedly about the pair) and then walking to school together.

On this particular day, Adrien was settled in his classroom waiting for class to start, looking through the latest photos that Nathalie had sent him of her cat Clochette at their current location. Despite her foreign surroundings, Clochette looked right at home resting atop a luxurious velvet pillow while staring out a window. Adrien couldn't help but smile as he fondly recalled how she'd always seemed to have a soft spot for him despite ignoring every other human that wasn't Nathalie.

From his peripheral vision, he noticed a downcast Kim shuffling into the room. He sat in his usual spot behind Adrien, trying to conceal a sniffle. Adrien thought it odd, since Kim always carried himself with infectious exuberance and energy. Once he was situated, Adrien turned around on his chair. Kim stared through cloudy eyes at the contents of a small box; a jewelry box, perhaps? It was certainly ornate enough to be one.

Concerned, Adrien asked quietly, "Kim, what's wrong?"

"I..." Kim began, "N-nothing. Nothing's wrong," he said as he hid the box, lower lip quivering. However, once asked, he could no longer hold back his grief, and a couple of tears began to trickle down his face.

"Oh my God, is he crying??" Chloe asked loudly from the other side of the classroom, prompting everyone to look over at them.

Thoroughly embarrassed, Kim shot out of his seat and ran out of the classroom, still clutching the velvety box. Adrien winced (faintly hearing a sheepish Chloe mutter, "Oops"), then got up to go after Kim.

However, as he passed the door's threshold, he bumped into Lila, who tripped and fell backwards. He managed to catch her before she hit the ground, and she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him close.

She let out a dainty yelp. "Ah! I'm so sorry, Adrien! How clumsy of me!" she whimpered as he helped her up.

"It's okay, it was my fault," Adrien replied hurriedly. He tried to look around Lila to see where Kim had gone, but he couldn't see him anymore.

"Will you help me get to my seat? I think I twisted my ankle when I tripped..." she asked, her voice thick and sweet as honey.

Adrien grimaced. "Umm... Well, I'm actually trying to catch up to Kim. He was really upset and—"

"Oh, it's alright, Adrien. I understand," the girl interrupted, dejectedly looking away. "You're such a caring person, of course you'd want to check on your other friend; don't let me keep you. I'll find my way to class on my own," she added, looking away glumly. She made like she was putting weight on her injured leg, then let out a small whine. "Oww!"

"N-no, I guess I should... I mean- I can help you get to class first," Adrien replied, trying to ignore the nosy stares that several faculty members were giving them, then helped a limping Lila into the classroom.

The girl had barely reached her seat when Adrien was already dashing back out of the classroom, inadvertently dodging the "thank you" kiss she tried to give him in return for his service. Lila frowned as she watched him exit.

Since class would be starting soon, Adrien figured Kim might be hiding out in a restroom for privacy, so he entered the closest one to search. It was empty, so he tried checking the next one. Also empty. Just how far had Kim run? It shouldn't be surprising, for someone as athletic as he was, but still!