forty-seven

╔═══════════════════╗
five months later.
╚═══════════════════╝

"Ah, it's so cold!" Areum giggled as she held her ears, cupping them with her hands that were wearing mittens. It was finally winter, the weather that she and Heeseung both liked.

They were at his parents' house since his mother invited them over for lunch. They stood in the yard, laughing and teasing each other.

He was holding a scarf before wrapping it around her neck, "You always do this to me so it's my turn to do it now."

She smiled and made a snowball before putting it against his cheek. He shivered and flinched before running away, "Yah! Don't do that!"

She made a bigger snowball and was aiming to throw it at him, chasing him around.

"Yah, please don't do it!" He shouted and giggled before running away. The door opened, revealing Mrs Lee in an expensive winter dress. She smiled at the sight of her son running around with her favourite future daughter-in-law.

"Kids, lunch is ready!" She called. Heeseung was about to walk back inside until he felt a cold snowball hit his back. He gave a death stare at Areum, seeing her acting like she was busy searching for something on the ground.

He immediately rushed towards her before picking her up from the waist, swinging her around. They both laughed as they walked back into the house.

"You have to eat, Areum. Mr Lee baked his famous winter cookies. He rarely bakes them so you have to try. I'll pack some for your parents too," Mrs Lee said before giving her a plate of cookies.

She averted her gaze to Mr Lee who was on the call with someone. He ended the call and sighed before sitting next to his wife.

"I lost in the election. Mr Ahn won."

"At least you're a Vice President now, dad. That's fine," Heeseung assured him.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"Come, Areum. I have to tell you something," Mr Lee said before letting her into his office. She looked around, seeing pictures of Heeseung on the wall. Pictures of him when he was a baby.

"I know you forgave Heeseung for everything he did in the past. But I need to tell you something."

She sat down on the couch and watched as he sat in front of her. She clasped her hands together, feeling nervous and anxious all at once.

"Is it serious?" She asked. He took a deep breath, "I told Heeseung to break up with you before."

Her heart dropped at the sudden words. She couldn't help but laugh it off as confusion started filling her head. Her fists started clenching as she waited for the man to continue.

"Heeseung used to whine that you always beat him in exams. So I trained him to hate you so that he can get first place. But I didn't know it made him in love with you. When I found out he was dating you, I told him to break the relationship off because I was scared it will affect his grades."

Her jaw started to clench as she felt anger rising inside her. She stayed silent and lowered her gaze.

He continued, "I never knew it would make him miserable for fourteen years. He cried alone in his room. He didn't talk to me and even decided to move out because he was upset with me."

"I love my son, Areum. I really do. But what I realised is that I suck as a father. I couldn't tell him how much I love him. All the pictures I took secretly when he was little, I hide them in this office. Because I knew he would never take a step into the office."

Areum exhaled heavily and thought for a while. She knew she couldn't be mad anymore because the breakup happened years ago. She looked at the man, "I can't be mad at you because it happened long ago. And I decided to be mature and forget it ever happened since Heeseung and I are back together now."

"I really appreciate it, Areum. Please take care of my son and make sure he takes care of his health. He always forgets to eat since he has surgeries and classes all the time."

She smiled softly and nodded, "I appreciate that you told me about this. And about Heeseung, you can still show him that you love him. Maybe you can say the words you've been wanting to say? Apologise to him. I'm sure Heeseung will be happy. You have no idea how much he loves you."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Heeseung sat in the living room awkwardly with his father. He was hoping that Areum would stop talking to his mother in the kitchen and come sit next to him.

"Heeseung-ah," his father broke the silence. He gulped and fixed his posture, "Yes, dad?"

Mr Lee sighed and took out a small box from his pocket. Heeseung widened his eyes when he saw a diamond ring placed nicely in it.

"Dad!"

"It belonged to your great-grandmother. She told me to give it to you. So that you can give it to your future wife."

"It's too precious. I can't take it."

Mr Lee grabbed his son's hand before putting the box on it. "I'm proud of you, son. And I want you to be happy. I think Areum is the right one for you."

Heeseung smiled, "Thanks, dad. I've been planning to propose to her for a month already. But we both have been too busy with work. How did you propose to mom?"

"Well, I didn't propose to her. She proposed to me. It's because I was a coward. I was too shy to even look at her."

The son chuckled and they both talked about their days and problems at work. Mr Lee felt relieved that his son shared his problems. He wanted to be there for him, to be the supportive dad that his son always wanted.