forty-eight

A few days have passed. Heeseung and Areum went on with their lives, creating new memories every day. The sun shined brighter as it went through the curtains. Areum touched the space next to her on the bed.

Heeseung?

She opened her eyes slowly and saw the surgeon was nowhere to be found. She checked her phone and saw Heeseung's name displayed on the screen.

"Come to the hospital."

"It's about Beomgyu."

He texted her. She immediately got off the bed and got ready, changing into a decent outfit.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Heeseung stared at his ex-best friend blankly, seeing him laying on the bed calmly. Beomgyu chuckled in amusement and kept his eyes fixed at the ceiling.

The monitor next to the bed was beeping at a steady pace. "I'm glad your happy these days," the patient said.

"Shut up," Heeseung snapped. Beomgyu smiled as a tear trickled down from his left eye. He took a deep breath, "You're a neurosurgeon, right? Thank you for being my doctor-in-charge."

"How can you hide this from me? How can you not tell me you have an awful brain tumour? Why didn't you get it treated? Don't you know how worried I was when you came here and said you need to get your brain tumour checked?!"

"I thought you hated me," Beomgyu's voice became quieter than before. The doctor exhaled heavily as he felt his chest heavy. He ran his fingers through his hair frustratedly.

"I didn't leave you, Beomgyu. You did. I've always wanted to meet you again. I messed up before so I understand why you're mad at me. But I hate you now for hiding the disease from me!"

Heeseung burst into tears before hugging his best friend. The door opened, revealing a worried Areum. She took slow steps towards the bed, her mind was filling in unanswered questions.

"Beomgyu-yah, why are you on the bed?"

"Areum-ah," the man flashed a smile, "I'm sorry for what I did. I'm sorry for shooting you and abusing you."

"Why the hell are you on the bed? Why is Heeseung crying?" She asked, starting to feel panic.

"I didn't tell you about my brain tumour. And now it's gotten worse. I never got it treated."

Her heart dropped as she stood there frozen like a statue. She rushed to him and held his hand, "You're kidding, right?"

Heeseung sobbed and wiped his tears, "There's a high risk of death when he's undergoing the surgery later."

"No, no, no! Beomgyu, you can't die!"

Beomgyu's heart broke at the sight of her crying. He blinked the tears away and tried to put on a bright smile. Areum hugged him tightly, "You can't die. Please, just don't! I didn't even get to spend time with you as best friends yet! You've been there for me for years! How can you leave so early?!"

The man looked away and pushed her arms away, "I'm sorry, Areum."

The door opened, revealing Jake and Sunghoon with other nurses. Areum scurried towards Sunghoon and held his hand, "Please tell me you're joking. Please, Sunghoon."