Chapter 7 - "He shall be executed at dusk."

Mick leaned against the door, sliding down until she was sitting. She pulled her knees up to her chest and closed her eyes.

That couldn't have just happened. She knew he was a shape-shifter, but that wasn't what she had expected him to look like!

He was a raccoon, so she thought that he would be as dark in person. Dark hair, dark clothes, dark eye-bags, maybe... Not the boy she had just stared at. Not a boy who was actually kind of.... cute.

No! What was she thinking!? She was Princess McKayla Aubrey Singh. She had a reputation to maintain, a title, and a place to hold. How could she have these thoughts-these feelings-for someone who was banished and wasn't even supposed to exist?!

Though, she was technically banished now too, wasn't she? No one, absolutely no one could know. At least, no one else...

"McKayla?" Tito called through the door, interrupting her inner dialogue.

"Are you good in there? I feel like you're freaking out in there. I mean no judgment or anything... I didn't expect him to be that good-looking either." There was a pause before her voice came back.

"I swear, Mick, if you tell him that I said that, I will personally make it so that you cannot talk ever again, the hard way." Mick stood up, rubbing her eyes. She took a few deep breaths to compose herself before unlocking the door and striding out.

She made sure to look the black and white cat in the eyes when she said,

"Tito, I'm fine, I was just surprised, that's all. And no, I won't tell him. Now, will you please excuse me while I get ready to see my father?"

Tito just shrugged and jumped down from the vanity stool she had moved to. She headed towards the closet, her tail flicking back and forth.

"Okay. I'll be in here, exploring the mansion that is your closet and picking out your outfit while you do your makeup." She called over her shoulder.

"It's not THAT big!"

"Mhmm." That was the only reply she got.

McKayla realized what the feline said and was about to question her, but decided against it, turning to go into the bathroom.

After she was done with a simple smokey eye, she walked into the closet. She was met by a sight she hadn't been expecting but wasn't surprising.

A girl with pink hair and mismatched eyes stood in front of her, wearing a navy blue dress that had long lace sleeves and a full sparkly skirt.

"Mick, you're done! Ooh, I love that look you did. It really brings out your eyes."
Mick just kept on walking.

"Thanks! That dress looks great on you. You can keep it if you want it."

Tito just stared at McKayla, as if trying to figure her out.

"You're not... I don't know-surprised? I never told you I was a shape-shifter."

"Oh, I know. But like I said earlier, you kind of outed yourself... Or at least Retreo did."
The girl sighed before picking up a black linen dress.

"I found this for you. I figured it was 'gloomy',"
She did air quotes with her slender fingers.
"But won't make you look like an old widow. Oh, and I found these shoes."

She held up a pair of simple golden heels. Mick quickly took the dress and shoes from her, then hugged the girl and pushed her out the door.

"It's perfect! Let me just get dressed real quick."
After putting in the dress, McKayla walked out and did a little twirl. Tito's clapping filled the room as Mick bowed playfully.

"Thank you, thank you. Now, can you help me with something?"

"With what?" Tito looked questioningly at Mick as she walked over to the shelf in the wall. She carefully pulled down a small trinket box and opened it. A melodious plinking tune filled the room. Mick closed her eyes, a peaceful look on her face. She hummed along for a few seconds before taking a deep breath.

She slowly pulled out a golden necklace. It had a golden sunflower charm on it and the simple piece of jewelry was beautiful, and the perfect way to complete Mick's outfit.

She handed the necklace and turned around. Holding her hair out of the way, she allowed the pink-haired girl to clasp the dainty chain around her neck.

McKayla looked at herself in the mirror, her reflection distorted in the fractured glass.

"Mick, you look fine. Now go do your princess-y duties."

"Princess-y duties?"

"Yeah. You know. Going to balls, dressing up in fancy gowns, getting to talk to cute guys, dealing with dra-"

"Getting to talk to cute guys?" Mick turned around, her eyebrows raised.
Tito rolled her eyes for what seemed like the hundredth time that day.

"Why do you keep repeating everything I say?"

"I don't. I mean-not I don't keep repeating everything you say. I don't get to talk to cute guys."

Tito snorted then seemed to realize Mick wasn't joking.

"You can't be serious right now, Mick. Do I need to remind you of the-what was it?" she tapped her finger against her chin. "Oh yeah! 13 good-looking, and I mean good-looking guys, who came here last month?"

Mick just glared.

She pulled on her shoes before walking over to the door.

"Those 13 'good looking' guys were here for a meeting with my father. That same father I'm supposed to be talking to right now."

Tito scoffed but waved goodbye as the princess left.

Mick traveled down the empty corridors. For a large castle with a lot of staff, there wasn't a lot of action going on.

She kept walking until she reached a tall, sturdy, door. She knocked on it, causing a resounding noise to echo throughout the otherwise quiet halls.

"Come in,"

"Hello, father," McKayla said once she faced the dark-haired man.

"Oh, Mick, darling, you're here at last. I was beginning to think you had gotten sucked into one of those silly old novels you read." King Keegan chuckled dryly at his joke, but McKayla was less than amused.

Her father didn't think that the romance and mystery novels she read were fit for a princess, but they were the type of books Mick's mother owned and read endlessly, so she cherished them.

"I do not think you called me to discuss Y'Dissac or my literature choices, so why don't we cut to the chase. What is the real reason I am here?" Keegan's eyes hardened like cement and he shook his head.

Mick loved her father, but sometimes the stubbornness they shared caused them to lock horns.

"There has been a discovery amongst our troops." He stood, turning to pace the wooden floors.

"One of our men has hidden a secret from us, a very serious one at that." The King paused at the window, peering out at the overlooking view.

"Father, What are you talking about?"

"He was arrested for treason and the secrecy of his hydrokinesis, which would have been punishable by banishment. But now?"

Keegan turned to Mick, staring her in the eyes.

"He shall be executed at dusk."