Chapter 2 - Vanessa

The events of the day rushed by in a blur, my mind a haze of confusion and numbness. I was whisked away to the police station for a check-up, despite having no visible injuries.

There, I was greeted by Officer Adrian Carter and his partner, the female officer that was at the crime scene, Patricia West. Basic questions were fired my way, each one reminding me of the tragedy that had just befallen my life.

"What is your name?"

"Vanessa Vacker."

"How old are you?"

"Fourteen."

But then the harder questions came. The more probing ones.

"How was your relationship with your aunt, Amberly Vacker?"

Fucking terrible.

"Amazing."

"Do you suspect anyone who was involved in this homicide?"

Yes.

"No, sir."

"Who is Stephen Huntley?"

I hesitated. "He was a man my aunt dated."

Officer Adrian's gaze was like steel, and I could sense the weight of his suspicion. "Were you aware that he was suspected of the use of dealing with A-class drugs to a minor?"

"No." but I'm not surprised.

"No one has seen or heard from him in over five years. Why?" he pressed.

I raised my eyebrow. "How am I supposed to know that sir?"

Even though Adrian Carter looked like a man not to be messed with, I wasn't too worried about him. What I was worried about was the woman-the female police.

But it was the female officer, Patricia West, who made my skin crawl. Her piercing green eyes seemed to bore into my soul, as if she could see the truth-the darkness.

The monsters that I tried to hide.

"Okay, Miss Vacker," Officer Adrian cleared his throat, making him tear my gaze from his partner. "We are finished here. There is no mention of any relatives you may have."

Now, the officer really had my attention. "Eh-excuse me?"

"DNA test, Miss Vacker," he explained patiently. "We need to see have any other relatives or connections. Otherwise, we may have to place you in the system."

The system. The foster system.

Where guys like Trezor Zayde were there, but more monstrous.

I swallowed hard, "I don't have any known relatives, officer."

Officer Adrian nodded slowly, as if weighing my words. "Very well. We will take a DNA sample and compare it to our database. If there is a match, we will find your family and hopefully get some answers."

He motioned for me to follow her, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of dread as I complied.

As we walked down the hallway towards the medical bay, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was about to open Pandora's box.